We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stinky Metro No More

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kensington, MD...
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
Save Topic
Stinky Metro No More

This was just too good to not pass along!

Paris has contracted with a company that makes raw scents for Hermes' and Rochas' perfume divisions to create a special perfume that will be mixed with the cleaning fluids used in the Metro stations. The city will use 18 tons each year at a cost of $300,000. The fragrance is a combination of lemon, orange and lavender.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stinky Metro No More

Well, for a city with a mayor that brought the world Paris Plage, this sounds about right ;-)

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stinky Metro No More

You mean no more "Euro-Stink"?

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stinky Metro No More

Now let's see what they can do about the graffiti...

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stinky Metro No More

Is Bertrand Delanoe still the mayor, Truffaut?

What will it be next? Pink berets trimmed with maribou (and everything that goes along with that, bien sur...) for all the metro workers? Or just for the ones spraying the new metro scent?

Personally I'd have liked something more in the sandalwood and musk realm, with overtones of leather. Don't you think?

;>)

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stinky Metro No More

Now if they could just think of something to overcome the NYC stink.....maybe another gift from France, like the Statue of Liberty?

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stinky Metro No More

If the French could work the new scents into the spray paint supplies, the urban taggers would actually be doing the Metro a favor...

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stinky Metro No More

This is hysterical, and somehow wonderful, too. Too bad we were there before this happened. The metro stations were terrible! And since we'd just come from DC where the metro areas are almost immaculate, it was quite a shock. I love citrus and lavender, so it sounds good to me!

Kensington, MD...
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stinky Metro No More

I don't know Irish, I think there's plenty of musk smell already---especially on hot summer days!

Yes, Bertrand is still mayor. You know we're taking over all the major cities in Europe--the mayor of Berlin is like-minded as well. ;)

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stinky Metro No More

Actually, not a new concept at all. Supposedly, Paris introduced "madeleine" some years back...

"..The London Underground has introduced a fresh, new scent to the platforms of three busy stations (2001). The demonstration for the fragrance, known as Madeleine, began at the St. James Park, Euston, and Piccadilly Circus stations.

--Already widely used on the Paris Metro --, the fragrance is being applied to station platforms to improve the moods of passengers and combat the sometimes pervasive mix of odors emanating from passengers and stale fast food..."

apta.com/services/intnatl/intfocus/aroma2.cfm

over here
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Stinky Metro No More

lemon and orange are energizing while the lavender is relaxing. Perhaps they want to keep folks calm when the train is late but alert to pickpockets? :D