We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,874 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
How much money?

Heya,

Im going to Paris in july a for a weekend and was wondering how much money i would need to take. I am unsure of the cost of food and how much the attractions will cost? thanks

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
403 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much money?

It's so different for everyone.

Why not bring your credit card and $100 cash?

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much money?

A standard US bank-issued ATM card is all you need for walking-around-cash. If you bank with your credit union or an S&L (do they still exist?), you may need to bring some cash and change it at a Bureau de Change at the airport. use a VISA or MasterCard as much as possible.

When you arrive at the airport in Paris you should have (or get) 50 Euros. That will cover the 30 to 40 euro cab ride and water/snacks if there are any complications on the way to the hotel.

Check with your bank before you leave. The least-expensive way to travel in Europe is with an ATM card and a VISA or MasterCard, (usually, even if the issuing bank charges questionable fees). The "Bureau du Change" is for emergencies only. Again, check with your bank before you leave.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,874 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much money?

many thanks all

Tampa
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How much money?

I note you are in Wales, where I believe you call the cash machines Cashpoints. As you know, in the USA they are ATM's.

Very likely your credit cards and cashpoint cards are issued in your country. The UK rules for their use are probably a bit different than with the US cards.

I agree with the other posts to check with your bank before you leave, regarding daily withdrawal limits, useage fees, and any other restraints. USA credit card holders are charged an aditional surcharge fee when used outside the US. In the past this was concealed in the currency exchange rate, but is now disclosed a bit more prominently. ATM fees vary but turn out to be a high percentage is only mimimun amounts are withdrawn. The point I'm making is you can't escape the web of the money changers. If you bring British pounds or US dollars and exchange them for Euro's, you will pay the biggest fees of all. And you will lose some more when you change the residue back to pounds.

If you withdraw most of the Euro's you think you will need from the ATM at the airport, you will lose the least in exchange charges. If you do, look out for the pickpockets on some of the Metro routes. My pockets were picked in Madrid and Rome, but not yet in Paris. Have heard they have operated on Metro line 1 which runs down Rue de Rivoli and Champ d'Elysee.

Keep in mind, Paris is expensive. About like London, if you have spent much time there lately.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,856 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much money?

Hit the hole in the wall when you arrive and get about 300euro out. This is the cheapest way of getting cash from machines - for anything less than 300 you pay over the odds in fees. Anthing you DONT spend while on the weekend (and that depends on your willingness to abuse your credit cards), you can spend on a bottle or two of wine to take home.

Or simply take the euros home for your next trip!