We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris in April - What to wear???

University Place, WA
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Paris in April - What to wear???

Hello all! I have spent all day reading this forum and have become somewhat addicted!! Here's my question: My husband and I will be traveling to Paris during the last week of April (April 22-29). I am wondering what I should pack. I know I'll need good walking shoes. I want to pack light but I don't want to look like a slob or extremely touristy. I'm at a total loss because I'm not sure what the weather will be like or what the appropriate attire is for shopping in boutiques and other stores. Suggestions? Thanks!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
347 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris in April - What to wear???

You don't say how old you are, but I'm a 38 year old woman and this is what I would pack:

one pair comfy walking shoes

one pair blue or black jeans, either stretch straight-leg (think Kate Moss) or boot cut and fitted.

one pair black trousers

one pair comfyish but stylish shoes for boutiques or "posh" shops

several long sleeved cotton/lycra mix T-shirts in black/dark colours

a couple of scarves (you could buy these over there)

a cardigan or jumper (wear on the plane to save space)

a stylish raincoat (again, wear this on the plane)and a pac-a-mac. A pac-a-mac is one of those rainproof coats designed for walkers that folds down into its own pocket - not sure what they're called in the states.

One black jersey "day dress", say a simple black wrap dress, that could be dressed up for the evening with a bit of jewellery, or worn during the day with the comfy/stylish shoes listed above, or with a pair of nice court shoes (I think these are called pumps in the States?)

All of the above can be packed into a carry on sized case if you wear the bulky stuff like raincoat, comfy shoes and jumper on the plane over.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris in April - What to wear???

I wouldn't worry too much about looking "like a tourist" as it is difficult to look French if you are not, I think!

If you are going to the posher shops perhaps avoid jeans and t-shirt and - like the previous poster said - wear black trousers and maybe a blouse or smart-ish top.

I tend to wear stuff that's comfortable generally. I almost always wear flat shoes all the time, so I take one pair of "walking around all day" type shoes and one pair of smarter ones for evening wear.

I usually go to Paris in early May and the weather has been anything from blazing sunshine to gray and drab, so I would take a light/rain coat (or a small umbrella? It isn't usually THAT cold around that time of year) and maybe a light jacket if you want.

If you're planning on eating out in the evening, take something fairly smart, as well.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,560 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris in April - What to wear???

I was in Paris last April and the weather was so mild that I was glad I threw a few pairs of walking shorts in my luggage. I used these almost every day for sight-seeing and changed in the evening.

Pjk

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris in April - What to wear???

We too will be in Paris beginning April 22, for two weeks. The advice given for women's attire sounds quite reasonable; is it too early for my comfortable walking sandals? Do you have some tips for the men who will accompany us? Many thanks for the good advice always found here.

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris in April - What to wear???

Bring an umbrella

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,231 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris in April - What to wear???

maybe its a generational thing (and I'm in my late 40s - ugh - first time I've written those words!), but I dont get the comments about not wearing jeans to "posh" shops. Sure ripped up dirty ill-fitting jeans maybe, but when you walk Faubourg St Honore and the other major upscale shopping streets, all you see is women in jeans and stilettos or ballet flats.

I wouldnt dress in Paris any different than I dress in NYC... Jeans, nice shoes, nice shirt... Black jeans if going out somewhere nice for dinner. Every trip to Europe, I schlep the black slacks and never wear them... I used to schlep a little black dress too but stopped that silliness years ago. Unless you're going out somewhere fancy for dinner, its so not necessary.

If you're the type of woman who wears slacks on the weekend or would dress up to get on a plane - ignore me - we have a different style!

University Place, WA
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris in April - What to wear???

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I just over thought this a bit too much since this will be my first trip to Paris.

TiggerTigger - I think your advice is brilliant and I love that it can totally fit into a carry on if packed properly (although I will also be checking a near empty suitcase so I can bring back everything I plan on buying!) I am in my mid-twenties, by the way.

I don't know why I was so worried about this. Your post brought to mind the perfect items to pack that I already own and wear all the time - like nice trouser jeans and dark long-sleeve lycra/cotton shirts (I bought some recently that are so soft and comfy) and a cardigan sweater. Plus ballet flats and a pair of heels for the evening.

Also a cute little dress I bought recently for a work event that I love but it's just a little to dressy to wear to the movies and restaurants where I live.

I think I will invest in a nice trench coat though (and wear it on the plane!) - I've wanted one for a while and this is the perfect excuse!

Thanks again!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
347 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris in April - What to wear???

We don't take an umbrella. If there isn't one in the apartment we're renting, we buy a cheap one and then leave it in the apartment for the next people to use. I think they cost about six euros in the tourist shops.

I have to confess that I never take comfy walking shoes, I just wear my comfiest favourite shoes or boots and give my feet a good massage every night! I was just trying to be sensible in offering that advice.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
301 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris in April - What to wear???

A few years ago I worked a Chanel show, I dress models, and they had a 100% cashmere jogging suit.

It was gray with pink very thin piping. Stop by Chanel and if you try it on you'll never take it off,

looks classy and sooo comfortable.

10. Re: Paris in April - What to wear???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, September 16, 2009