We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets/Passes in Advance?

Ohio
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tickets/Passes in Advance?

I'll be in Paris in a few weeks, for a short, quick trip. Current activities planned include the Eiffel Tower, a trip to Versailles, seeing Notre Dame and a few hours at the Louvre.

My question is, for any of these destinations, should I pursue ordering tickets/passes in advance before I leave the U.S.? Are there any "jump ahead" privileges if advance tickets are purchased?

When I was there a few years ago, we simply purchased tickets as we went along, but this forum has been so helpful I'd be interested in other folks' opinions and guidance.

Merci!!!

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Skip-the-Line Admission...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,279 Reviews
from $104.00*
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,147 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tickets/Passes in Advance?

To my knowledge, there's no advantage to buying tickets before you go, unless you count paying enormous markups to overpriced middlemen as an advantage.

AFIK, there's also no jump ahead -- you have a ticket, you get in line.

January isn't a particularly busy time, and you should have no problems buying tickets as you go -- also eliminates the pressures and mess of feeling you just *have* to see a certain thing because you've got tickets -- when you've stumbled on something you're more interested in, but don't have the time to do it all.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,375 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tickets/Passes in Advance?

Well, actually there are usually TWO lines. One to buy a ticket, and another for security/bag check. So if you pre-buy an entry ticket, you avoid that line and just deal with any security lines.

I don't think lines are that bad in the winter months although I haven't personally travelled then. I don't think you can prebook the Eiffel, but you can buy some museum tickets at FNAC.com, and pick them up at certain FNAC stores.

Alternatively, you can buy a Paris Museum Pass in place of tickets and, again, you avoid the cashier line and just go to the security. Do NOT buy a museum pass in advance as it will cost extra. Just buy it at the Tourist Office(s) or the first covered museum that you go to.

USA
Level Contributor
30,079 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tickets/Passes in Advance?

>>> unless you count paying enormous markups to overpriced middlemen as an advantage.<<<

On average, the '..premium..' (higher price, added shipping, handling, postage charges, etc) you pay for advance purchase runs somewhere around 30%-35% more than the official purchase prices in Paris....for very little or no added 'convenience'. ***DO NOT*** pre-purchase these pass products.

4. Re: Tickets/Passes in Advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, September 14, 2009