We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day trip to Paris - suggestions

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Wales
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
3 day trip to Paris - suggestions

Hi - I'm taking my 3 kids (10,12,14) and my parents to Paris for 3 days between Christmas and NY. Any suggestions on what part of Paris to stay in - we want some bars, resturants, parks.

The only 'must do' so far is the Eiffel for the kids. It's such a great opportunity I want it to be great so please suggest away. Our hotel budget by the way (if anyone has a suggestion) is not deluxe.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,601 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day trip to Paris - suggestions

I had a great long weekend nearly a month ago in Paris. My 5 cents knowledge is:

a. La Defense. It is easy to go there on RER. It's on the extension of the Champs Elysee, the "New" Triumph Arc, a modern high π shaped, quite futuristic location. You can get an elevator to the top which gives you great views towards huge Paris city. It also has a small but cool "old pc stuff" exhibition, while, during my visit, a Christams market was being set up.

A visit there can easily fill anything from 2 hours to half a day. RER connection is very very convenient and gets you there in no time :)

Photos here:

…flickr.com/1269/999001180_6b1aa34a1b_b.jpg

summitcds.org/moneta/images/La_Defence-Grand…

The whole are is interesting - ok, i am an architect :)) - with may high rise buildings around / dining opportunities also. Quite different to Paris Historic Center.

b. Louvre / Pyramid of Louvre / Gardens of Tuilleries . The Big Ferris Wheel at the end of the Gardens

Ok! :) i know museums can be so booooring to kids. Nevertheless, we are speaking about the Louvre and the Pyramid. I would consider a visit there. After all, they don't have to "see" the whole museum. It's huge. . .Still i would consider a visit to see the Pyramid itself, and perhaps some of the highlights like "Mona Lisa", "The Milos Aphrodite" and the "Nice of Samothrace".

…jpgmag.com/227024_29298_a98156b6a9_p.jpg

I staid at the 1st, in a 3* hotel just behind Louvre. As i get it it is considered a quiet area for the night, still it had everything i wanted: 4 - 5 small and not touristic bistros and in the same time it was in the center of everything: 3 mins walk to the Louvre, Beaubourg in 10 mins walk, Galleries Lafayette at a quarter.

Nevertheless, many people stay at other more "active" areas and i really get it. I was quite more oriented to a "museums" visit. I am sure more suggestions will be added here :)

Ooh, and yes, Eiffel Tower is stunning. Keep in mind that it is even more beautiful during the night, so absolutely consider a visit to enjoy both sights, day but night views too. So, i think an afternoon visit is the best option. Just in front of it a stall sells crepes. It's touristic but it's yiammie too :)

Level Contributor
3,493 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day trip to Paris - suggestions

I think that the more central you are the better. With all those people, I would check and see if you can get an apartment. Citadines rents by the day I believe (a lot of apartment owners only rent by the week).

Otherwise you will probably need 2 triples or 3 doubles?

With three generations together, I would probably either choose the 5th, 6th, or 7th arrondissement.

The 5th is extremely youthful and has tons of history. Your kids might like it for the youthful nature (fun shops, etc.).

The 6th is more sophisticated, more expensive as well. Shops galore, great historic cafes, wonderful restaurants. You and your parents might like this.

The 7th is more quiet, and pretty family friendly. It's where the Eiffel Tower is located, and the infamous Rue Cler that people seem to either love for the charm or hate for the Anglophone tourists. This area is a bit more off the central beaten path than the 5th and 6th are.

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
422 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day trip to Paris - suggestions

Stay longer. You may regret spending so little time there. You will find bars, restaurants, and parks in every part of Paris. But every neighborhood has a different "feel." Do you want to be near museums like Nick, or do you want a bustling avenue, a quiet corner, or a bustling avenue next to a quiet corner...?

For a better idea of the neighborhoods in Paris, consult this website

sidestep.com/travel-info-t0062020048-neighbo…

or something similar.

Diz
UK
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day trip to Paris - suggestions

You mention parks, so a good starting point would be the Jardin du Luxembourg - there are no adventure playgrounds, but there's a fair amount of space and the ugliest fountain I've ever seen. So, probably find an hotel on the left bank somewhere near there? It's the 5th/6th arrondissment so there are plenty of bars and restaurants nearby, but the 'student quarter' around the Sorbonne may not be as lively as it is during term-time.

My kids were a bit younger when we went with them, but they liked - the Eiffel Tower, a boat trip on the river, the performance art outside the Pompidou Centre, the mad traffic around the Arc de Triomphe (climb to the top if they need to work off some energy) and a bus ride down the Champs Elysées.

Knowing a bit more now, I'd consider a visit to the Musée d'Orsay, if they'd be likely to appreciate impressionist paintings - especially as the snack bar right at the top of the building has a really nice terrace overlooking the river. And I think they might like a rather risqué visit to Montmartre, partly for the view, the Place du Tertre and the ride up the funicular, but also if you can arrange to stroll past the Moulin Rouge!

Last time we were there, without kids, we went to the Parthenon (near the Luxemboug) and the climb to the dome would probably appeal to tenagers too - there is also Foucault's pendulum in place if you have any budding scientists.

No suggestions for the grandparents - in my experience they are happy if the granddchildren are happy ...

Houston
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 day trip to Paris - suggestions

The Ferris Wheel in Place de la Concord is fun for kids and adults, plus a great view over the city.

Paris has such a fantastic and easy to use Metro that you can move about the city with ease, making where you stay not as crucial as you would think. That being said, I still loved the 6er and will return there again.

I found the StreetWise Map of Paris to be great. Map of Metro is included. Earlier poster sugguested making the kids the "official navigators" using the street and metro map.

6. Re: 3 day trip to Paris - suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, September 14, 2009