We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is Princess Diana's Memorial?

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
Where is Princess Diana's Memorial?

As we are visiting Paris next July I have been madly reading all the posts on this Forum. I have seen mention of Princess Diana's Memorial but I can't see where it actually is. Can anyone help me out.

I have also seen where there is a huge Ferris Wheel - but I have also read where some people think it has closed down - is it still there or not?

Thanks

Sue

USA
Level Contributor
31,302 posts
9 reviews
39 helpful votes
1. Re: Where is Princess Diana's Memorial?

There is no '..official..' Princess Diana Memorial..' but the un-official site seems to be the relpica of the Statue of Liberty's '..flame..' at the center of Place de l' Alma, located at the Right Bank end of Pont de l'Alma, over the entrance to the tunnel. The '..flame..' replica itself was a gift from the American Friends of France (and the International Herald Tribune) in 1987 as a token of thanks for France's gift of the Statue of Liberty

www.jellesen.dk/webcrea/places/paris/330.jpg

There is also Le JARDIN CLOS de la PRINCESSE de GALLES (Princess Diana Memorial Garden) 21 rue des Blancs Manteaux (at rue Vieille du Temple), 75004, Metro: HOTEL de VILLE—Open: SAT & SUN ONLY 1:30-5:30 PM

Enter through large, dark red doors near non-descript buildings—garden owned and operated by Mairie de Paris—Garden located next to Eglise Notre Dame des Blanc Manteaux

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
23,556 posts
111 reviews
169 helpful votes
2. Re: Where is Princess Diana's Memorial?

The ferris wheel was in the Tuilleries garden, right near the Pyramid entrance courtyard of the Louvre.

I assume it is just closed for the season and will perhaps be put up again in the summer.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
804 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Where is Princess Diana's Memorial?

The Ferris Wheel is opened, it is on place de La Concorde.

There is no memorial of the Princess of Wales, just as KDK said a misfortune of a replica of the Statue of Liberty's flame that happened to be located above the tunnel where the accident occured.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Where is Princess Diana's Memorial?

Thanks for the info - we will check out the unofficial memorials.

Sue

USA
Level Contributor
31,302 posts
9 reviews
39 helpful votes
5. Re: Where is Princess Diana's Memorial?

>>> I have also seen where there is a huge Ferris Wheel - but I have also read where some people think it has closed down - is it still there or not?<<<

As noted, there is a seasonal (from April-thru-November) amusement park, with an ordinary ferris wheel, set-up along the rue de Rivoli edge of Jardin des Tuileries. But I think the ferris wheel that you're thinking of was the '..La Grande Roue..' wheel that was set-up at Place de la Concorde in 1999 for the 2000 Millenium celebrations...but removed in 2002 (?).

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
11 reviews
12 helpful votes
6. Re: Where is Princess Diana's Memorial?

It's back KDK after a brief exile to Holland. It is indeed the same grand wheel and it's back in it's home space at Concorde.

I read over and over again that the city is at war with the owners but it somehow reappears every couple of years. It's in full operation in the usual place.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
17,040 posts
42 reviews
80 helpful votes
7. Re: Where is Princess Diana's Memorial?

The Princess Diana Memorial is at Harrod's in London, and on the grounds at Kensington Palace.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
19 reviews
30 helpful votes
8. Re: Where is Princess Diana's Memorial?

Ferris wheel at Place de la Conforde was going when I was there 3 weeks ago

USA
Level Contributor
31,302 posts
9 reviews
39 helpful votes
9. Re: Where is Princess Diana's Memorial?

>>>It's back KDK after a brief exile to Holland. It is indeed the same grand wheel and it's back in it's home space at Concorde.<<<

That has a '..Terminator..' ring to it. The last I heard, La Grande Roue was headed to Bangkok. After the problems the city had getting it moved after the Millenium celebrations (and this operator's past 'history' with Mairie de Paris) I'm surprised they granted him another lease.....hopefully this time, one that won't involve phalanxes of brief-case-wielding, French attorneys facing each other across the Place de la Concorde when it comes time for La Grande Roue to move on.

10. Re: Where is Princess Diana's Memorial?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, September 13, 2009