We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

(American) Thanksgiving In Paris

Daly City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
(American) Thanksgiving In Paris

This year I decided to do something a little different for the upcoming thanksgiving holiday and be anywhere but here. However in the spirit of this yummy holiday, I would like to comemorate it (while overseas) in a nice restaurant by the Eiffel tower. If anyone out there is "Paris Savvy" , can you possibly recommend a restaurant that's good yet won't break the bank?! (since the dollar is so weak) Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Merci Beacoup

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: (American) Thanksgiving In Paris

Are you looking for an American-style Thanksgiving dinner, or a nice restaurant for a "normal" French dinner?

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
444 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: (American) Thanksgiving In Paris

If it's American style Thanksgiving dinner you want check out Thanksgiving Restaurant 20 rue St. Paul in the Marais. Otherwise look at eatinparis.com for the 7th arr. or 16th arr. near Trocadero if proximity to the Tower is your choice.

USA
Level Contributor
28,365 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: (American) Thanksgiving In Paris

For Thansgiving '..American Style..', in addition to the previously mentioned THANKSGIVING, there's also a place in the 5eme-Latin Quarter and another location in the 4eme-lower-Marais called BREAKFAST-in-AMERICA, that does a traditional Thanksgiving dinner menu for the holiday. There's also JOE ALLEN'S in the 4eme-lower-MaraisBut with either place...you MUST to make an reservation well in advance.

BREAKFAST-in-AMERICA--17 rue des Ecoles (btwn: rue Monge & rue d'Arras) 75005, Metro: Maubert-Mutualité & Cardinal Lemoine....and....4 rue Mahler (at rue du Roi de Sicile), 75004, Metro: Saint Paul--

http://www.breakfast-in-america.com/

THANKSGIVING--20, rue Saint Paul (at: rue Charles V) 75004, Metro: Saint Paul--

http://www.thanksgivingparis.com/

JOE ALLEN's--30 rue Pierre-Lescot (at: rue de Turbigo & Etienne Marcel---just north of Forum Les Halles) 75001, Metro: Etienne Marcel--

http://www.joeallenparis.com/

Level Contributor
3,493 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: (American) Thanksgiving In Paris

Good and affordable restaurants around the Eiffel Tower include Le P'tit Troquet on the Rue de l'Exposition and Florimond . Both are excellent and around 30 euros per person.

There are more costly choices like Les Ombres (about 100 euros per person) or le Cafe de l'homme (around 50 euros per person) as well.

Les

Daly City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: (American) Thanksgiving In Paris

Thank you all for responding, I greatly appreciate it. It's definitely going to make my planning much easier! Anyhow, to answer some of the questions on this post I am looking to have more of traditional "french" dinner...but i may opt for the holiday classic, turkey and the fixins'...but it's good to have choices...i will have to reply back on this forum with the results and reviews! thank you all and have a fantastic thanksgiving!

las vegas
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: (American) Thanksgiving In Paris

This article first appeared in the Herald Tribune decades ago, but it's still amusing:

Le Grand Thanksgiving

By Art Buchwald

This confidential column was leaked to me by a high government official in the Plymouth colony on the condition that I not reveal his name.

One of our most important holidays is Thanksgiving Day, known in France as le Jour de Merci Donnant .

Le Jour de Merci Donnant was first started by a group of Pilgrims ( Pelerins ) who fled from l'Angleterre before the McCarran Act to found a colony in the New World ( le Nouveau Monde ) where they could shoot Indians ( les Peaux-Rouges ) and eat turkey ( dinde ) to their hearts' content.

They landed at a place called Plymouth (now a famous voiture Americaine ) in a wooden sailing ship called the Mayflower (or Fleur de Mai ) in 1620. But while the Pelerins were killing the dindes, the Peaux-Rouges were killing the Pelerins, and there were several hard winters ahead for both of them. The only way the Peaux-Rouges helped the Pelerins was when they taught them to grow corn ( mais ). The reason they did this was because they liked corn with their Pelerins.

In 1623, after another harsh year, the Pelerins' crops were so good that they decided to have a celebration and give thanks because more mais was raised by the Pelerins than Pelerins were killed by Peaux-Rouges.

Every year on the Jour de Merci Donnant, parents tell their children an amusing story about the first celebration.

It concerns a brave capitaine named Miles Standish (known in France as Kilometres Deboutish) and a young, shy lieutenant named Jean Alden. Both of them were in love with a flower of Plymouth called Priscilla Mullens (no translation). The vieux capitaine said to the jeune lieutenant :

"Go to the damsel Priscilla ( allez tres vite chez Priscilla), the loveliest maiden of Plymouth ( la plus jolie demoiselle de Plymouth). Say that a blunt old captain, a man not of words but of action ( un vieux Fanfan la Tulipe ), offers his hand and his heart, the hand and heart of a soldier. Not in these words, you know, but this, in short, is my meaning.

"I am a maker of war ( je suis un fabricant de la guerre ) and not a maker of phrases. You, bred as a scholar ( vous, qui etes pain comme un etudiant ), can say it in elegant language, such as you read in your books of the pleadings and wooings of lovers, such as you think best adapted to win the heart of the maiden."

Although Jean was fit to be tied ( convenable a etre emballe ), friendship prevailed over love and he went to his duty. But instead of using elegant language, he blurted out his mission. Priscilla was muted with amazement and sorrow ( rendue muette par l'etonnement et la tristesse ).

At length she exclaimed, interrupting the ominous silence: "If the great captain of Plymouth is so very eager to wed me, why does he not come himself and take the trouble to woo me?" ( Ou est-il, le vieux Kilometres? Pourquoi ne vient-il pas aupres de moi pour tenter sa chance ?)

Jean said that Kilometres Deboutish was very busy and didn't have time for those things. He staggered on, telling what a wonderful husband Kilometres would make. Finally Priscilla arched her eyebrows and said in a tremulous voice, "Why don't you speak for yourself, Jean?" ( Chacun a son gout. )

And so, on the fourth Thursday in November, American families sit down at a large table brimming with tasty dishes and, for the only time during the year, eat better than the French do.

No one can deny that le Jour de Merci Donnant is a grande fete and no matter how well fed American families are, they never forget to give thanks to Kilometres Deboutish, who made this great day possible.

2005Tribune Media Services

USA
Level Contributor
28,365 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: (American) Thanksgiving In Paris

>>>I am looking to have more of traditional "french" dinner...<<<

Ahhh...the other shoe containing the not-so-petty-details drops.... Since '..Thanksgiving..' in the American sense of the term, as a '..holiday celebration..', means pretty much '..just another Jeudi..' in France....then ANY good Parisian restaurant will do quite nicely.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: (American) Thanksgiving In Paris

KDKSail, that's precisely why I asked which type of meal the OP was asking about...

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: (American) Thanksgiving In Paris

Kelev - thanks for that. It was funny :) :)

For me, its just another Thursday...

New York
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: (American) Thanksgiving In Paris

Hello, have you found something yet? We spend Thanksgiving in Paris every year, rent apartments and cook at home. We did once go to the Thanksgiving restaurant but weren't tempted to repeat the experience. On another note, we're stuck for accommodation as our usual company http://www.pad-a-terre.com is full! If you want any resto tips please come back to me. Jack