We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out on a budget

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
275 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Eating out on a budget

This will be our first time in Paris and quite honestly don't have a clue about getting transport from Charles De Gaulle Airport and the cheapest method. Also is there restaurants ther that don't break the Bank?

Would appreciate any help!!

Jan

Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from $109.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from $301.00*
$334.40
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out on a budget

quite honestly Dajan, first of all where do you go in Paris from CDG ? thanks for answering and then let's talk about restos ....

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
275 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out on a budget

Hi,

Thanks for replying so promptly!

We are booked at the Hotel Neuville Elys'ees for 3 nights - about 1km from Eiffel Tower.

Told you I didn't have a clue!!

Cheers

Jan

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
592 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out on a budget

I'd suggest just taking a taxi from the airport to your hotel. There's a little stand outside and you just get in line and when it's your turn, tell the driver where you want to go. Very simple -- no stress at all and not too expensive considering the stressful alternatives.

The most affordable way to eat would be to find a store and stock up on food, but there are also cafe's and snack shops that have fairly inexpensive "club sandwiches" -- simple roast beef or turkey on a very good sandwich roll. I ate them quite often and they were in the 3 - 5 Euro range on most occasions, which I think is pretty affordable.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out on a budget

search the group for info on transport -- this is most frequently asked question and there are excellent detailed answered (short answer, take the RER)

it is easy to find satisfying food in Paris because cafes put boards out front with their 'menu' or set meal each lunch and dinner time and you can see what is on offer and know how much it will cost -- get a carafe of water to go with the special you select and you have controlled costs

there are also methods for getting very cheap food -- schwarma stands in Rue Rossiers etc -- but hey, its Paris -- you really want to do better than that for dinner -- you can find excellent 2 or 3 course menus for between 12 and 18 Euros for dinner and a bit less at lunch -- and the big hearty salads are also less and good lunch fare

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
275 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out on a budget

Hi

Any idea how much taxi would cost ?

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
592 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating out on a budget

Taxi cost -- My wife is in charge of that, but I believe it's around 40 E to the 5th or 6th arrondissement, which is where we usually stay. That's just a general idea and there are variables. Hopefully, someone will give you a more definitive answer.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating out on a budget

it is likely to be more than 40 that far -- 40 if you are lucky but 60 would not be unheard of -- depends on traffic

RER is about 8.50 apiece -- I'd do that and spend the difference on food if yoiu are concerned about budget travel

Florida
Level Contributor
17,265 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating out on a budget

1. Roissybus to rue Scribe (by Opera Garnier), then Metro line 3 from 'Opera' to 'Pereire'.

or

2. RER-B to 'St Michel', then change to RER-C to 'Pereire - Levallois'

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating out on a budget

You can do a little research on trip advisor or other on line sites. If you are on a budget, public transportation seems to be what you are looking for. There is the RER train, the Roissy bus and the Air France bus.

Many restaurants do not break the bank. Menu is posted outside so you get an idea of prices. Service and taxes are included. However beware of beers, soda drinks etc. as they are expensive in Paris. Best ot stick to house wine and carafe d'eau (Paris tap water).

10. Re: Eating out on a budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, September 13, 2009