We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paris shuttle or cab from airport to hotel?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
paris shuttle or cab from airport to hotel?

i am sure this ground has been covered before, but i can use some opinions... Should we take a (shared) minivan (door to door, 19E per person) with www.parishuttle.com or a cab to the hotel from CDG? The advantage of the van is it is cheaper (we think) and we can pay for it on credit card ahead of time (won't have to worry about getting euros in US beforehand). The cab is obviously more private but the driver might not speak english....

Mentioned in this post
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,567 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paris shuttle or cab from airport to hotel?

I assume you have considered the train (RER)? That's probably the quickest option.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,683 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paris shuttle or cab from airport to hotel?

I have been on these boards long enough that I have seem many posts about pre paid shuttles not showing, or showing up an hour later, that there is no way I would use one. I would use a shuttle if I could pay on site, but, if there are more then two of you, then a taxi is just as cheap( could even be cheaper) The taxi driver does not need to speak english, as a smart traveller has his hotel address , including which arrondissmont it is in) WRITTEN down and just hands it to the driver with a "si vous plait". Just so you know, a piece of luggage is one euro extra on top of meter fee( I tell you this so you don't think you are being ripped off) .

Personally, I take the RER , easy, fast, and cheap, I would only consider taxi if I had a lot of luggage or was travelling with young children.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,567 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: paris shuttle or cab from airport to hotel?

I agree with Joan. Many visitors, especially from the States, seem to worry unduly about transport from the airport and seem to think that a shuttle or taxi are the only options. They then have the added worry of whether it will be there at the right time both on arrival and when they depart. Several times in Paris and London I have seen bored groups waiting in a hotel foyer for their shuttle. I have a strong impression that, once they have found out about the transport options, they wished they had never committed themselves to the thing. Some shuttles may be brilliant, but in general they are slower, less reliable and involve more waiting around and anxiety.

There should be no problems about getting Euros for the train as you can pay by card or, better still, use an ATM to draw out cash at the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
London
London
England, UK
USA
Level Contributor
29,075 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paris shuttle or cab from airport to hotel?

We've used shared airport shuttle vans for returns to Paris airports and never had any difficulties or problems with hotel pick-ups There's no denying that problems occasionally occur...but I've also heard of problems with taxi pick-ups not showing up also) . So...no sistum are perphekt.....but thousands of passengers a day somehow manage to use shared shuttle services without problems.

If you book a round-trip fare, rates are lowest...and for two(2) passengers, will usually work out to be approx 1/2 of what the average Taxi Parisian fares are.

If you decide to use a shared shuttle service, make certain that you (or ask someone at the front desk of your hotel) telephone them the day before your scheduled hotel pick-up for the return to the airport to re-confirm your pick-up arrangements.

In the past we've used (and recommended to friends and acquaintances) without problem or incident. The service has been reliable...pick-up arrive either on time or a few minutes early...and get you to your airport departure terminal in good time.

BLU VAN--

paris-blue-airport-shuttle.fr/index_en.php

PARIS AIRPORT SHUTTLE--

http://www.paris-airport-shuttle.com/

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
254 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: paris shuttle or cab from airport to hotel?

Or phone our wonderful contact Lucien who owns a small taxi fleet and speaks perfect English and several other languages. His drivers don't all speak English but WILL meet you at Arrivals with your name on a board and help you get your baggge to the taxi.

Lucien +33 6 89 97 39 60

Batemans Bay
Level Contributor
101 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: paris shuttle or cab from airport to hotel?

I am getting conflicting advice on Shuttles, we have used them before in Paris, without too much trouble, but this time we don't arrive till after 6pm, and although the different shuttle websites tell me the majority operate from 5am to 11pm, my hotel has told me that is not the case, they normally won't pick up after 6pm. I have emailed to ask them, but was wondering if anyone else has used Lucien - noted on the post before this, certainly sounds a better arrangement - 'specially meeting us, and helping with the bags!

Surfbeach

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
254 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: paris shuttle or cab from airport to hotel?

We lived in Paris for 3 years, and in that time travelled to and from the airport a LOT. We and all our South African friends used Lucien all the time.

Once I called him when my car battery had died and I had an urgent appointment. He sent a taxi immediately and then personally arranged for Renault to come and change my battery so when I got back it was all sorted out. He is an angel.

It is 3 years since we were last there so if the number isn't valid any more, post here again as I have many SA friends in Paris and one of them will have his number.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Lot
Lot
Occitanie, France
8. Re: paris shuttle or cab from airport to hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, September 11, 2009