We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good restaurant frequented by locals

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
394 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Good restaurant frequented by locals

Any suggestions for a restaurant that's off the beaten (tourist) track? Looking for one that serves good, typical French dishes that local families may go to on their nights out. We'll be staying in the 7th Arr. but are not limited by location.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good restaurant frequented by locals

Dear Monks-in-Miami,

I like the restaurant, Au Tibourg. It is located on the rue Bourg Tibourg, which is in the Marais district. On the same street is Mariage Freres tea house, the oldest tea shop in Paris. Parisians like to go there for brunch on Sunday.

Bon voyage!

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,008 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good restaurant frequented by locals

Stroll up the rue du Cherche Midi and you will find a handful of local places... from the bustling Nemrod cafe to the tiny Petit Verdot, the upscale Josephine to the simple Midi Vin and a few others in between.

Paris
Level Contributor
44 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good restaurant frequented by locals

I agree with Phread. Cherche-Midi is great because there are few/no tourists and it's a pretty quiet place in the evenings.

You may also like to try the "Le Marche" restaurant in the Marais. I go there every now and then and rarely see tourists. I have not seen it mentioned in any of the tourist guides. They serve good, classic French food (magret de canard, lapin in rosemary ...). It's a very casual, pretty restaurant, though the service can be a bit slow at times. Main courses are about 14 euros. Their location is also great - in the Place du March�� Sainte Catherine (metro: St Paul). However, if you want something truly "authentic", I would go to Cherche-Midi.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
937 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good restaurant frequented by locals

A very typical restaurant brasserie style that I personnally enjoy very much : Le Square Trousseau in the 12th. Lots of French people, good atmosphere, good fun. Be aware that restaurants full of french people can have cigarettes smoke.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
937 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good restaurant frequented by locals

A very typical restaurant brasserie style that I personnally enjoy very much : Le Square Trousseau in the 12th. Lots of French people, good atmosphere, good fun. Be aware that restaurants full of french people can have cigarettes smoke.

Dr John Carter from "ER" had lunch at Square Trousseau !!

Paris
Level Contributor
643 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good restaurant frequented by locals

In the 16th I recommend Le Scheffer, just by the corner of Paul Doumer and Scheffer, a short walk from the Trocadero. It is very "local" and the food is excellent. The os a moelle entree and the confit de canard plat are always good; an OK bottle of Chinon is E15. The service can seem a little brusque, but the staff is really quite friendly, just very busy and they sometimes shout the orders over the diners' heads when things get going. I do not believe they speak English.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
394 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good restaurant frequented by locals

Thanks for these great suggestions. Sounds like just enough to try one a day for my four days. In which arr. is rue du Cherche Midi ?

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,008 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good restaurant frequented by locals

6th, I believe, although it may also be in the 7th. Too lazy to take out a map. It runs from the Place de la Croix Rouge to the boul Montparnasse, so it is not a long walk. You could get out at the Duroc metro and walk up from there. But Sevres Babylone is close too.