We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Travel Guides

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Good Travel Guides

Anyone know of any good travel guides. I've had a scan thru at the bookstore and i think 80% of those guides are rubbish - poorly laid out or like a history book.

At the moment, I'm planning to get the lonely planet - on paris (the one with the metro sign at the front). Are there better ones out there.... the lonely planet one was okay.....but i expected better.

michigan
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Good Travel Guides

I bought 4 books at Border's and the one that I USED most was "Moon Metro Paris-Unfold the City"....by Avalon Travel at $16.95...It fit beautifully into any purse ( maybe 5" X 9" and flexible), and is divided by arrondissements...It has laminated fold out maps by arrondissement in the front, and then each type of sight is marked...ie, sights, restaurants, night life, shops, arts and leisure, hotels...then has a reference in the back for more info....the back is also a map of the metro......If I had ONE book to carry with me, this would be it!! ......My next two favorites were the "DK" books...we had a small "top ten Paris" book and a larger France book both by "DK"........I loved the larger France book as it was very informative about all places in France if you plan to go beyond Paris; and the maps were nice...the Paris maps had all metro stations, post offices,parking ramps, police stations,riverboat boarding points, tourist info sights, hospitals, churches, etc......all marked SO conveniently~~!!!

Moose Jaw, Canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Good Travel Guides

Another vote for Access here too. I recently purchased this one for my fall trip to Paris. Love the detail included, and the format.

We will be taking several of the suggested walks. This may be the only Paris guide I take. ( trying to travel light).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Good Travel Guides

Rick Steves.