We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains out of Paris

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trains out of Paris

We will be in Paris for 2 days, May 30 - June 1. We have a rail pass, and plan to catch the train from Gare de Lyon to Aix en Provence. I have heard that it's cheaper to book your reservation in Europe, but just wondering if it will be booked up by the time we get there. Does anyone know how hard it is to get a reservation on the "high speed" train, mid week, if you are a rail ticket holder? We have B&B and car reservations in Salerne for June 1-3, so we do need to get to our destination that day. We will be in London May 28, is it possible to do the reservations from London? Thanks all!

Irish in Paris
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains out of Paris

The company that sold you the railpass are able to get you reservations on whatever train you like (normal there's a small fee of a few euro). It's probably worth doing in advance.

Just because you have a railpass does not ensure you a seat on the rain of your choice and on the TGV you must always have a reservation.

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains out of Paris

When you say a small fee for reservations, that I don't mind. One company I contacted yesterday wanted $15 per person per reservation, plus $21 for shipping! To be honest, I would rather spend my money on something in Paris!

Irish in Paris
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains out of Paris

In Paris they'll charge you a couple of Euro (I think) for the reservation at the train station. Sorry to hear that it's costing so much from where you are !

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains out of Paris

Rail Europe in London Piccadilly are the agents for SNCF (French Railways), there is a contact number on their website, although you can just go to their office but it can be a wait, not sure if they are open on a Saturday though. Reservations should be ok, but the earlier the better.

Maryland
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains out of Paris

I have a very similar question to the one Elli initially posed. I just looked at the TGV web site, and the price for 2 of us to travel by TGV from Paris to Marseille on a Monday is 120 Euro (for 2). Except, I cannot buy such a ticket from the U.S. The web site that allows me to buy this ticket from the U.S. quotes me a rate of $US 244 (that's 193 Euros)!!! And that is before the $US 20 shipping charge. We will only be in Paris for 5 days before the day we need to go to Marseille. So, I too am wondering if that will be too late to buy a TGV ticket to Marseille.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains out of Paris

elikovich -

You CAN buy your ticket from www.sncf.com

Just leave France checked as your country and you will have no problem. At the end of the transaction, you will either print your ticket, or you will get a voucher with a confirmation number. In the latter case, you will need to take the voucher AND the SAME credit card you used for the transaction to a main line train station to retrieve your ticket(s).

Post back if you have any more Qs.

Maryland
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains out of Paris

thanks for the info!!