We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Defense vs. Montparnasse

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huntsville, AL
Level Contributor
84 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
La Defense vs. Montparnasse

I am going to Paris for the first time in November. I will be there alone with my 7 year old daughter. I was able to get 2 very good discounts at hotels and I'm having a hard time deciding which one. Perhaps someone could give me some pointers in regards to the hotel and also location which is important.

Marriott Renaissance located in the La Defense district

Le Meridien in the Montparnasse area

From what I can tell on the maps La Defense seems to be closer to the Eiffel tower, however Montparnasse seems to be better for taking a walk around town, shopping, cafes, etc.

If anyone has any input I would appreciate it!! Thanks!

Denver
Level Contributor
728 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: La Defense vs. Montparnasse

Montparnasse without question. La Defense is a very boring outlying area full of large office buildings with very very little to do at night. Montparnasse, in contrast, is actually in Paris, with all that implies.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
253 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Defense vs. Montparnasse

Montparnasse, Montparnasse. Who wants to be in LaDefense. LaDefense is the new business center of Paris. You can't really walk any where. In Montparnasse you'll be able to enjoy more the parisian life style, cafe, shopping, etc. And LeMeridien is not that bad according to the review in this site. Enjoy Paris. I'm going in August for the 21rst time. TravelAgentInYUL.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Defense vs. Montparnasse

La Defense is the worst possible choice - -you will exhaust your child just commuting to Paris from there -- it is ugly, boring lacking everything that makes Paris Paris -- it is barely in Paris -- on the very fringes --

Montparnasse is Paris -- at least you will be in a neighborhood -- it is still not terribly well located for a first visit with a young child -- but at least the environment itself is potentially charming

if I were you, I would try to find something near Luxembourg Gardens in the Latin Quarter -- your child will love the play spaces in the gardens -- and this is an easy stroll to Notre Dame and the Seine

but if you are set on those two choices -- definitely Montparnasse -- but look closer in first -- location is important -- spend a little more on a more centrally located hotel

look for budget selections by searching this board or just using trip advisor hotel search

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Defense vs. Montparnasse

Given your two choices of location definitely choose Montparnasse over La Defense. La Defense is an office complex that is not interesting and becomes dead at nighttime. In fact, a relative had a free stay at the same Marriott property, but I advised her that it was better if we stayed at a different hotel in a different location even though we'd end up paying.

Huntsville, AL
Level Contributor
84 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Defense vs. Montparnasse

Thanks for the feedback! I guess I was a bit scared of the Meridien due to the crappier reviews. But you are right -- I don't want to waste all my time commuting back and forth all day with my little one. Does anyone know of any good hotels in the Latin Quarter or Luxembourg areas?

Huntsville, AL
Level Contributor
84 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Defense vs. Montparnasse

What about this hotel?

www.paris-hotel-muguet.com/English/Rates.htm

Their prices seem almost too good to be true! Is it?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Defense vs. Montparnasse

Jardins du Luxembourg is basic but quite acceptable (although the room we had was very small!). Try Henry IV Rive Gauche, and see whether you can get a triple room (much more space for two people, and very close to Notre Dame, etc.). You can see reviews of both, plus many others in areas you might want, by doing a hotel search on this site.

8. Re: La Defense vs. Montparnasse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, September 05, 2009