We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Connections - Eurostar to others.. on time?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train Connections - Eurostar to others.. on time?

Hi - I am planning some train trips when I am in europe and right now I have a thalys route which ends 20 mins before the eurostar takes off... is this enough time?

Thanks for the help.

Allen

Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from $109.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from $301.00*
$334.40
Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Connections - Eurostar to others.. on time?

Yes thats plenty of time assuming that your Eurostar is on time. They are in the vast majority of cases unless there is work on the track. i dont see any work currently mentioned on the eurostar website.

USA
Level Contributor
28,629 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Connections - Eurostar to others.. on time?

Even though both the THALYS trains and the EUROSTAR trains use adjoining platforms at Gare du Nord, I'm pretty sure that you can't simply walk from the THALYS arrival directly to the EUROSTAR departure platform, without going through pre-boarding check-in with EUROSTAR first. Even then, you should JUST have sufficient time...provided your Thalys train arrives on time. In the absence of a more definitive response, you might try e-mailing EUROSTAR directly to confirm their check-in procedures.

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Connections - Eurostar to others.. on time?

Hi KDK :) Looks like we are busy posting at the same time lol.

KDK is right. I misread your post and thought your first train was the Eurostar. To take the Eurostar at Gare du Nord, Eurostar requires that you arrive a minimum of 30 minutes before departure. You must go upstairs through french passport control, british passport control, security and then a final ticket check before desending onto the platform. I have never been there late so I dont know if they are flexible on the 30 minute rule but 20 minutes would be really pushing it.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Connections - Eurostar to others.. on time?

I think what I have decided to do is use the 1 hr connection... will make it easier and i can look around the train terminal (i love trains..) BEtter to be safe than sorry I guess.

Thanks everyone!

-- Allen

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Connections - Eurostar to others.. on time?

I would say not, you should allow 45 minutes as a minimum, whether you are changing in Brussels Midi or Paris Nord.

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Connections - Eurostar to others.. on time?

1 hour is much better. You will have plenty of time that way.