We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter in Paris??

Jersey City, NJ
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Winter in Paris??

Hello. I am attempting to plan a trip to Paris for February. My traveling companion is convinced that it will be too cold to enjoy anything. What is Paris like in February? I would love to be able to give her more information to convince her that Paris is wonderful and fun any time of year and that it's not too cold to do anything. I hope to hear from you.

paris, france
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter in Paris??

well, it's cold lol, paris is like ny so it can be 5 degres celsius more or less, but you can do many things even during winter :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter in Paris??

We've found that Paris is worth a trip regardless of the time of year or the weather, except perhaps in late July when there are nothing but tourist lining the streets. We have no problem in either early January or April. It's all the same. It's a state of mind that happens only in Paris.

UK
Level Contributor
475 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter in Paris??

Hi

We've been to Paris most years in January, sometimes it's been bitterly cold (-5c) and sometimes it's been about 8c! Quite a difference. But even when really cold it hasn't stopped us taking the tour on the Seine for example or walking about. Last year we were there in March also, and it was very pleasant weather, about 10c.

The weather shouldn't put you off at all - in fact the winter is my favourtime time to visit. If you like ice skating the Hotel De Ville (The Town Hall - metro of the same name) is wonderful, free skating and just hire the boots for about 5 euros, right by the Seine and lovely views! Can't wait for January when we go again!

Have fun!

London
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter in Paris??

This message is for Gill:

I will be in Paris in Jan. too. Perhaps we can meet up and you can show me and my friend some other sites in Paris (outside of the usual touristy things).

My e-mail address is rainbow966@hotmail.com

UK
Level Contributor
475 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter in Paris??

Kittian Queen

Thanks for your kind offer to meet. Unfortunately, we'll be a big group, as I'm meeting up with another family and we're on a pretty tight schedule (2 nights), so will have to pass on this occasion. It's a pity as I have experience of showing an American friend from California around Paris, last year! lol.

You're going to love Paris (I'm sorry, is it your first visit)? It's very easy to get about. Have a look at this site for your transport needs:- www.ratp.fr just click on the Union Jack. The Parise Visite multi day tickets are a good buy, and very convenient. Also for some ideas, this site is good www.paris.org, it will give you museum times, costs etc. Watch out for the Eifel Tower on the hour from about 5.00 p.m., it 'sparkes' for 10 mintues!

If I can help you with anything else please just ask!

USA
Level Contributor
28,367 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter in Paris??

I see a Jersey City, N J location for you. Have you ever taken the NY Waterways ferry from Colgate or PATH into the city for a day in February---lunch at Saks, the Met, MoMA, TKTS for a matinee, etc. ??? Well, Paris is pretty much like that--except perhaps that it seldom gets the 'extremes' of frigid temperatures (turn the corner of a building and get an icy artic blast in your face) that NYC occasionally gets and there's a slightly greater chance of rain/showers. If you dress accordingly (light layers are good and a folding umbrella) it's like a day in NYC. (if you usually go into the city in February to practice your axels and toe loops at Rockefeller Center or the Wolman in the park, you can pack your skates and do your 'short program' out in front of the Hotel de Ville).

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,866 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter in Paris??

My girlfriend and I are going to Paris in a few weeks, not the dead of winter, but we do not plan to do a lot of strolling in parks at the end of November. One of the considerations in planning my trip was to reserve a hotel very close to a metro station. Everywhere in Paris may sound "close" to a metro station, but I believe when you are freezing from being outside too long, 2 blocks can be a long way. Out hotel is right across the street, I hope, from the metro.

We also love art, so we are planning on spending a lot of time in museums. We will miss the sidewalk cafes, but I bet the cafes are nice and cozy inside on a cold night.

UK
Level Contributor
475 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter in Paris??

The sidewalk cafes will still be there - people just wrap up warmly and still sit outside! Especially on the Champs Elysee!

Jersey City, NJ
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter in Paris??

Gill, that's actually good to know (about the sidewalk cafes). That was one of the things that my friend was complaining about. "I won't get to sit at the sidewalk cafes." But even if we didn't, I would still want to go. I want to visit as many museums as my head can stand. Maybe I'll get lost in the Louvre . . .

UK
Level Contributor
475 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter in Paris??

Hi Alshaw

Glad to help! I love the museums and always call into the Louvre and the d'Orsay on each visit as there's so much to take in and often the temporary expos to enjoy. Don't miss Napoleon's Apartment at the Louvre, Richelieu Wing (1st floor Objet d'Art).

Not sure if it's still the same but the main Paris museums used to be free on the first Sunday of each month - I've never actually managed to time a visit on these days so not sure if they'll be too crowded or not.