We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indoor Smoking Rules

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
152 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Indoor Smoking Rules

I guess that I was under the mistaken impression that indoor smoking was to cease in Paris after April 1. Not only are they still smoking up a storm, they even smoke in the non-smoking sections, such as they are. I am talking restaurants, clubs and cabarets.

Moulin Rouge
Dinner Theaters, Cabarets
Lido
Crazy Horse
Le Paradis Latin
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indoor Smoking Rules

We are talking about the French here! It's not much different in Italy too where the laws are changing/changed.

Annoying for us non-smokers I realise, but what can you do? Unless it is a very enclosed area I have just learned to live with it or get out (in the case of bars/clubs etc).

Irish in Paris
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indoor Smoking Rules

April 1 ?

Did you really believe that? :)

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indoor Smoking Rules

Are we back to Poisson d'Avril? :o)

Some cultures are just not given to giving up their right to smoke where they want...part of the whole 'travel experience' I suppose.

birmingham MA
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indoor Smoking Rules

I hope not - I'm really looking forward to post luncheon cigar at L'Arpege. Unfortunately we're not there the same day as the Paris Cigar Club (and I would have loved to meet another lady cigar smoker!)

birmingham MA
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indoor Smoking Rules

I hope not - I'm really looking forward to post luncheon cigar at L'Arpege. Unfortunately we're not there the same day as the Paris Cigar Club (and I would have loved to meet another lady cigar smoker!)

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Indoor Smoking Rules

There is, and will continue to be two designated smoking sections in Paris restaurants: Smoking and Chain Smoking.

MD
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Indoor Smoking Rules

Vive le France! Unlike the U.S. where the anti-smoking crowd drives U.S. regulations, France is still a safe haven for us. Last I heard, smoking is legal. It all comes down to economics: if a smoking place has plenty of business they should be allowed to stay that way, if a business would be better off not allowing smoking then they will change. In an ideal world, there would be two separate sections. The market should drive this, not misguided governments.

england
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Indoor Smoking Rules

Thank goodness for Paris i say, at least smokers aren't treated like lepers, I agree that there should be non-smoking areas for people that don't smoke, and i don't light up when someone is eating, but at least I won't feel like i've got to crawl into a corner or wait until I go outside and then have one, I'm quite looking forward to it, being one of the majority and not minority for a change!!! My Daughter wouldn't agree with me being a 'new' non-smoker,and she even had the nerve to suggest we have a non-smoking room in the hotel, the cheek of it, really!!!!

USA
Level Contributor
28,506 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Indoor Smoking Rules

Like many places in the world, fewer people are smoking in Paris these days. But, I'm afraid the stereotype of smoke clouded Parisian cafes and restaurants clings to it likeother stereotypes---'..the French are rude..' or '..Paris closes for August..'. Many restaurants in Paris now have non-smoking sections---but they are not the hermetically-sealed enclaves that many non-smokers might wish for. When Parisian restaurants and cafes do offer non-smoking sections, it is these sections which are usually off in 'Siberia', rather than the other way 'round....and then non-smokers complain because they're surrounded by other 'tourists', rather than 'natives'...as if they're being deliberately discriminated against for being 'tourists'.

We were having a drink at an outdoor table of a cafe one afternoon. Seated next to us were two American women who complained about my smoking.(without the least introduction or preamble, "..Would you mind NOT smoking?.." accompanied by a theatric waving of hands in the air. "..YES, I would..." responded to with harrumphs, huffs, and muttered outraged indignation at not being OBEYED). A short while later, we saw these same two women board one of the 'land-liner' tour buses, idling at a curb, with it's deisel engine running---to keep the air conditioning going so tour participants wouldn't suffer the heat while waiting. I didn't hear either of these women complain about the noxious diesel fumes (to say nothing of wasted energy resources) belching from the exhaust of the this idling behemouth, so that they could return to the air-conditioned comfort of their six-wheeled '..cocoon..'.

More and more French (as well as many other Europeans) are slowly but surely quitting smoking...they're just not being as manic-obsesive about it as some.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Indoor Smoking Rules

I was in Rome the day the law banning smoking in all restaurants and bars took effect about three months ago. As far as I could tell, compliance with the law was immediate and virtually complete, which may have had something to do with the fact that on-the-spot fines of 200 Euros plus could be levied - and were in a number of well-publicized cases. Things may have changed since the. After all, as ebabe69 says, it is Italy!

I consider myself a smoker, though I now only smoke an occasional cigar and a VERY occasional cigarette, and almost never smoke indoors. I was a regular though never very heavy smoker for many years. I have absolutely no problem with smoking restrictions. Yes smoking is legal, but to diminish someone else's enjoyment of a meal or a good glass of wine for which they are paying by lighting up a cigarette is, at best, impolite.

More importantly, smoking bans were introduced by airlines primarily because they were seeing that the rate of lung and upper respiratory tract illnesses, including cancers, among FAs was very much higher than in the general population. The same thing is true of servers in restaurants and bars. They have a right to a healthy environment in which to work that trumps my "right" to smoke, IMO. Ask yourself how you would feel if you found that the atmosphere of your workplace was being contaminated intgentionally and unnecessarily by known carcinogens...

Just my 0.154 Euro's worth...