We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie - Museum Pass best parts

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Topic
Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie - Museum Pass best parts

Looking at the Museum pass website, it says that "Note the pass only gives access to the exhibitions (Explora), except extra charge exhibitions." It is also is one of the few museums where there is a charge for children. There seem to be lots of different parts to this museum, so I am trying to figure out which parts of the "best parts" of this museum are included.

Have you visited this museum? What was the best part of it to you (or to the kids in your life)? How much of those parts would be included in the museum pass?

thansk!

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie - Museum Pass best parts

Let me tell you, this is one great museum. The children will enjoy it and so will you.

There are some exhibitions for which there is an extra charge. For instance, when I was there, there was an extra charge for a Star Wars exhibit (which I passed up). Even without visiting the special exhibits, the museum is simply marvelous. It is very current, it is very interactive, and much of it is very entertaining.

I liked the exhibition on mathematics. There was one on biometrics that I enjoyed too. In any case, I thought most of them were very good. Don't miss it.

BTW, after the museum, you may wish to take the cruise down the Canal St. Martin. It departs very close to the museum.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie - Museum Pass best parts

Thanks pixfield - any chance that you have been to the Ontario Science Centre in Toronto? Just wondering about a contrast/comparison. Still early planning - putting together possible "days". Thinking of a day that would include the cruise up the St Martin canal, and then back via the museum / Park du Villette etc.

thanks! TKTF

London, United...
Level Contributor
799 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie - Museum Pass best parts

There is another sciences museum in Paris: le Palais de la Découverte, that I loved when I was a child. Young chemists and physicians are doing experiences in front of the audience. It's located in the centre of Paris, between les Champs Elysées and the Seine. http://www.palais-decouverte.fr/index.php

The cruise up the St Martin Canal is a bit funny, but it's very looong: It takes about 2:30 (the is many "écluses"-I don't know the word in english), so I think one way is enough.

London, United...
Level Contributor
799 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie - Museum Pass best parts

Lock! The word for écluse is lock!

So, as I said, there is many locks...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie - Museum Pass best parts

yeah, that St Martin canal trip seems to get both "it was great" and "it was long" type reviews. It would definitely be a "one way" thing. In the grand scheme of trip research, the locks etc have particular interest to my husband, so this cruise caught his eye.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie - Museum Pass best parts

and www.palais-decouverte.fr looks intriguing!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie - Museum Pass best parts

Hi

Along this same line of interest there is the Musee des Arts and Metiers. Website at:

http://www.arts-et-metiers.net/

Details the history of science and crafts, lots of interesting displays, machines, scientific equipment, cars, a few flying machines, all housed in a wonderful old building.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie - Museum Pass best parts

thanks! Looks like the Arts et Metiers museum IS included in the museum pass, while the Palais de la Découverte isn't. Both look intriguing!

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie - Museum Pass best parts

I don't remember paying for the Palais de la Découverte. Are you sure it is not on the MP? Maybe it's free?

Richmond, Va.
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie - Museum Pass best parts

This is an excellent museum! We spent the entire day there. The metro stops right at the museum. Our grand-daughter age 12 loved it all!!!

I do not remember anything about the entrance fees.