We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

museum pass... I need advice!!

New York
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
museum pass... I need advice!!

I am planning to stay in Paris from 4-30 to 5-4. I will take the rer from the airport to 1E (Chatelet & Les Halles). I will also use the L'open tour for two days. Is it really worth to by the museum pass for my 4 days stay in Paris? How it works... and where can I buy it? Thanks in advance.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
446 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: museum pass... I need advice!!

It depends on how many museums and monuments you plan on visiting while you are there. If you'd like to concentrate one day on museums and monuments, then a one day pass might be useful to you. Or if you are a museum addict, then perhaps a 3 day pass would be more appropriate. They say that you have to go to at least 2 to 3 museums or monuments a day to make it worth while. Note that Eiffel tower is not included, but most of the other major places are such as Louvre, Musee D'Orsay, Notre Dame, St Chapelle, Arc de Triomphe, etc... If you'd like a list, you can find it at: raileurope.com/us/…paris_museum_pass.htm

One very useful advantage to museum pass is that apparently you can skip the line up and go straight in to most places (except going up Notre Dame). One day pass = 18E, 3 day pass = 36E.

Don't buy the pass outside of France, they overcharge you for it. You can buy it at any major metro station right in Paris, or I think you can even buy it at the museums.

One other major reason why I am buying the pass is that I have access not only to 70 museums and monuments, but also to their bathrooms ;)

MDV
Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: museum pass... I need advice!!

Be aware that you will get next to no use out of your pass on Sujnday, May 1 (French national holiday, pretty much every museum covered by the pass is closed). Also, many museums are closed on Mondays (5/2), and the Louve is closed on Tuesday.

If you get the 5-day pass, this isn't much of an issue as I think it costs 54 euros (3-day is 36 and 1-day is 18). But if you were planning on getting the three day pass, you'll get no use from it on on at leas tone of the days. Since the 3-day pass costs double the one day pass, perhaps this isn't much of a concern. However, be prepared to do something else on Sunday the first.

New York
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: museum pass... I need advice!!

Thanks both of you for your comments. I was told that musee Picasso is open on May 1. I am planning also to do Notre Dame, Sacre-Coeur and Saint Suplice on that day. Do you know if they are open...? and I believe that I can use the museum pass to enter these cathedrales, isn't? Thanks again.

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: museum pass... I need advice!!

The real value to the Museum Pass is not economic. In fact, I would pay a premium for the museum pass because it allows you to bypass lines to get into the attractions.

MDV
Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: museum pass... I need advice!!

The basilicas of Notre Dame and Sacre Coeur have free admission. I assume they'll be open (as will Saint Chapelle...?) on the first since it's a Sunday. Cathedrals are a bit tricky tourist destinations on Sundays -- you may have to wait for the end of a mass to really look around. The tower at ND is covered by the pass, although I wonder if it will be open on 5/1. The dome at Sacre Coeur has a fee of about 5 euros. I don't think the pass covers it. Saint Chapelle is not free but covered by the pass. Not sure whether it's open on 5/1.

MDV
Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: museum pass... I need advice!!

BTW, I agree with pixfield about the added value of being able to bypass the lines (except at the Notre Dame tower and maybe a few other places).