We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rer travel

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NH
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
rer travel

I will be in Paris from a Monday through a Saturday. Other than a day trip to Versailles, I plan on spending the rest of the time touring the city. I will be arriving at CDG airport and staying in 7E near Invalides. Someone suggested that I buy an Orange(?) pass that would get me from CDG to Invalides, allow me to travel around Paris for the week, allow me to get to Versailles, and then get me from Versailles back to CDG on Saturday. Does anyone have any info on this pass and where I can buy/obtain info etc.. Thanks for your help.

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: rer travel

We got the pass last time we were there. The instructions I found said to bring a passport sized photo which is attached to the orange card and you get a plastic holder that has a pocket for the actually transit tickets. I'll look up the information but if I remember correct you could get week (mon-sun) and month tickets.

You can find the official instructions on http://www.ratp.fr look for Carte Orange in the ticket section.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rer travel

You should be able to buy it at the CDG airport's RER station when you arrive. It's doubled as a regular train station so when you get there, the ticket counter looks like a big bank with all of the tellers lined up.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rer travel

I noticed that the English language page of this website http://www.ratp.fr is severely handicapped. Here's how to navigate the French language page to get your information.

1st page: Click the fourth icon down the left side: Titres de transport.

2nd page: Click the icon on the right: Tous les tarifs

3rd page: Click the Carte Orange picture link

The weekly Carte Orange is "HEBDO."

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rer travel

It's 30.20 euros for a one week pass. It will be valid for you entire stay. Ask for a zone 1 through 5 pass. This will cover all your bus, metro and RER transportation to and from the airport, versailles, and in the city. As someone mentioned, take a passport photo as you will need it. You can buy it at the RER station in CDG.

USA
Level Contributor
27,545 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rer travel

Don't bother trying to find the details and infomation for the CARTE ORANGE on the English language version of the RATP's web site. It can ONLY be found on the FRENCH language version.

http;://www.ratp.fr/ >> TITRES de TRANSPORT >> CARTE ORANGE

For this pass, you will need to provide a (approx) 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" 'head-shot' photo for the photo ID card portion of the pass. This 'head-shot' photo can be from ANY source.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rer travel

As a comparison, how much is a 10 trip pass? Can anyone get the Carte Orange, or does it depend on which days of the week you will be there? We will be there from a Wed. to Mon. morning.

USA
Level Contributor
27,545 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rer travel

>>>As a comparison, how much is a 10 trip pass? Can anyone get the Carte Orange, or does it depend on which days of the week you will be there? We will be there from a Wed. to Mon. morning. <<<

There is no such device as a '..ten trip pass..'. There is a CARNET (booklet) of 10 reduced price individual tickets at 10,50 Euro per CARNET.

YES..anyone can get a weekly CARTE ORANGE transportation pass. The Carte Orange pass is valid for all Metro/RER/Bus transportation within its Zones. For travel within the City of Paris, all you need is a CO for Zones 1-2 @ 15,40 Euros. This pass is valid from FIRST TRAIN Monday AM until LAST TRAIN, Sunday PM for the week of purchase. You can still purchase the CARTE ORANGE for the CURRENT week up through WEDNESDAY. So you would need to purchase your CARTE ORANGE on the same day (wednesday) that you arrive...or else you're outta' luck. You can purcahes it at ANY Metro station. The CO requires that you provide a head-shot photo of the photo ID card portion of the pass. You would need to purchase either individual tickets or a Carnet your your transportation needs on your last day, Monday. But for your first first five(5) days in Paris, the CARTE ORANGE will be your BEST BET.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,814 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rer travel

<<But for your first five(5) days in Paris, the CARTE ORANGE will be your BEST BET>>

Not necessarily. We are having an onslot of visitors this week (5 different families) and they have all calculated that the carnets were cheaper, as they are centrally located and walking almost everywhere. Depends on how you will be spending your time in the city.

NH
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: rer travel

Thanks for the information. I am not leaving for Paris until May so I may have a few additional questions. This is such a great site. Thanks again.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
560 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rer travel

Hi -

Thanks for this thread, I have been trying to figure out what transportation to use. We will be arriving on Wednesday, May 25th via Eurostar at Gare de Nord - and staying 4 nights through the 29th - when we plan to take a rental car from CDG.

We do plan to go to both CDG for the car, as well as Disneyland Paris. From looking at the pricing for the one-day tickets that include the RER to Disneyland Paris, it appears to be almost half the price of the Carte Orange...then our trip to CDG may be about the same. So we'd be almost breaking even at those two trips and everything else is just extra? Does that sound right?

I was at first going to do the 10-tickets for in town, but it just seems like this will be a better deal for us.

Also - if you want to read the RATP site in English...go to Google, put RATP in and then hit "translate this page". Then you can read it in English!