We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Monet's garden at Giverny

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,312 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Monet's garden at Giverny

Hi,

I am just trying to price the options and would appreciate some assistance. Where do I find the price of train to Vernon? How much is the shuttle from the station to gardens? How long will that all take?

We might consider a package if the price does not outweigh convenience :)

Is there anything else I havn't though of?

Thanking you in anticipation.

10 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
10,048 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Monet's garden at Giverny

https://www.trainline.eu/ - check for train tickets price and book them if you like.

Shuttle Bus cost 10 € round trip (cash)

giverny.org/

When we visited, we took 8:20 am train from Gare St. Lazare- that got us to Giverny for opening time.

Village is very pretty, so we stayed for lunch and got back to Paris ~ 4 pm

Edited: 9:52 pm, August 16, 2018
London
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Monet's garden at Giverny

Get there for opening time. The queues and crowds are horrible by mid-morning.

I would not bother going out of "flowering season".

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Monet's garden at Giverny

Is there a later time in the day when the crowds die down but the light is still good? We are going to Paris on 27th August for the week but we don't particularly feel like having any early morning starts.

Have been many times and seen all the major (and many minor) sights in the city but never been to Giverny so could be an option though mostly planning a relaxing time walking around, eating good food and drinking nice wine!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Monet's garden at Giverny

It’s great late in the afternoon, I’m not an early start person either and my late afternoon visit was fantastic, hardly any other visitors. I’m planning on the same again this visit (but staying in Giverny) I think the gardens are open til 6 at this time of year, but I’m not sure when the last shuttle is back to Vernon.

Linthicum, MD
Level Contributor
783 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Monet's garden at Giverny

We went there rather late in the day, but not by choice. We had planned to go late morning, but I somehow got on the wrong train, got off before it left, and had to wait for a later one. We had lunch in the Printemps department store in between. Anyway, the shuttle bus is right there when you leave the station, so that part is easy. The gardens were not at all crowded that late in the day. We had to make sure we didn't miss the shuttle back to the station, as it was the last one of the day. Although we had some problems, it typically is an easy do-it-yourself excursion.

London
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Monet's garden at Giverny

The area around Giverny is very nice, so it would be a very nice little trip to hire a car and go and stay a night in the area whilst visiting. We stayed in a wonderful B&B about 30 minutes drive away and had dinner in a nearby village. The whole area is very beautiful and relaxed and not expensive.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Monet's garden at Giverny

We did exactly the same as Tesa, but added in a visit to the Impressioist Museum before the return to Vernon station on the shuttle.

giverny.org/museums/impressionism/index.htm

Toronto, ON, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Monet's garden at Giverny

`` ... but I’m not sure when the last shuttle is back to Vernon.... `

I was there just last week. I believe it is 6:10pm.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Monet's garden at Giverny

This is the timetable valid to 4th November

https:/…GIVERNY-Flyer-Mars2018-V1_FR.pdf

London, United...
Level Contributor
592 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Monet's garden at Giverny

There is also quite a pleasant walk between Vernon and Giverny, along what was once a railway line.

http://giverny.org/transpor/

Reply to: Getting to Monet's garden at Giverny
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted