We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Airfranceif travelling with children

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
242 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid Airfranceif travelling with children

Avoid air france if you are travelling with children. I was a single adult travelling with 3 children aged 5, 8, and 10. I booked 4 seats together and then confirmed them 2 days prior. Upon arrival at the airport 2.5 hours prior to departure I was told my seats were given to someone else. I asked for them to move someone so I could sit together as they had given me 2 seats together and 1 seat 20 rows back and 1 seat 25 rows back. They refused. I went to board and asked them to move passengers so I could sit together as originally booked.-they agreed as they said it is a security issue. I was the first one on the plane-however after the plane was fully boarded they told me I was late and either my children sit in their assigned seats or I exit the plane. As this point I was about to lose it and 2 people in front of me agreed to move. What a disappointment for an airline who claims to be family friendly and who very easily could have rectified the situation! I will NEVER Fly them again....!

Level Contributor
3,493 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid Airfranceif travelling with children

Wow, I'm sorry that happened to you. I think it's a crap shoot, I think a lot depends on who you deal with. I have taken very small children on Air France and they have been treated like royalty, which I'm grateful and lucky for. But that doesn't mean what happened to you is ok!

Les

Bahamas
Level Contributor
935 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid Airfranceif travelling with children

I can't imagine ANY airline doing that, let alone AF ~ though I don't doubt your account. I would have gone ballistic. I can understand that you won't choose to fly with them again, but I truly think that this nightmare of an experience, calls for filing a formal complaint, taking it to the highest possible level.

I used to work in the airline industry , several areas of it, and if you keep to "just the facts, mam" ~ it should bring results. One NEVER seperate a mother from her small children, even if they JUST BOUGHT the tickets, prior to boarding! I cannot imagine what happened here ~ !

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid Airfranceif travelling with children

Everytime we fly with AF we have not been given the seats which were assigned when we purchased our tickets. I don't understand why they allow you to select seats if they have no intention of honoring your selection. I've not had this happen with any other airline, yet it always is the case on AF. We have flown with them several times because they are the only non-stop from LAX that I was aware of. I'm thinking of trying Air Tahiti next trip.

Reno, NV
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid Airfranceif travelling with children

I have flown Air France several times and never had a problem with seats or having my seats changed on me. Is it possible the OP booked seats in an exit row or somewhere else children couldn't sit?

Or maybe it was really a Delta flight. (Since they code share with Air France). I've had a LOT of problems on Delta flights with seating. Once they moved my seat without telling me so that a seventeen year old boy could sit with his dad....AND took me from an aisle near the front to a middle seat in the last row!! When I complained they told me I had to right to complain as they were "equivalent seats" WTF? Well, yes, I suppose they WERE both in coach.

On my last Air France flight, btw, a guy was moved from coach up to first class by the agents so that a family could sit together. The family had been separated exactly because the kids had been booked in an exit row, so Air France had to move them. Now THAT'S a lucky guy!!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
36,972 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid Airfranceif travelling with children

Iam travelling to Mauritius from Birmingham via CDG in two weeks, and I asked for certain seats, which have been allocated to us. Every other airline have always honoured our prebooked seats; the question is, will Air France?

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid Airfranceif travelling with children

It has been my experience that the problem is much worse coming from Paris rather than going to Paris. For example, we waited in line to check in for our flight home. I had purchased the tickets 3 mos prior and selected seats at the time of purchase. The agent at the counter informed us that the flight was overbooked and asked if we would take a later flight. Since I had to be at work the next day I said no thanks. She then informed me that she did not have two seats together for me and my husband. she ignored me when I protested. Thankfully, we were able to get another passenger to trade places so we could sit together. Otherwise it would have been a really long flight home.

So is it worth bothering to select seats when you purchase tickets?

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid Airfranceif travelling with children

i recently booked Air France, but haven't travelled yet. There are 3 of us going, one booked separately, two booked together. The one who booked separately was able to choose her seat and got a confirmation. The two of us who booked seats together have been trying and trying to select our seats online next to her (it's showing that they are available), but to no avail. We go through the motions, select our seats, hit confirm, etc, but when we go back to check our itinerary it says, "airline is assigning seats upon check-in." I must have tried it 15 times already.

I was going to call AirFrance and ask for my seats personally, but will that do any good? Should I wait until we're checked in and ask for a seat change then?

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoid Airfranceif travelling with children

When traveling from the US the agents have been really good about seating arrangements. Get there early so you are at the front of the line to check in. Do not expect such treatment at CDG. I've even tried having the US ticket agent assign our seats returning and still not gotten the seats she assigned to us.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
36,972 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoid Airfranceif travelling with children

We telephoned Air France to prebook seats as there was nowhere to select on the British website. Worth trying!

Denver
Level Contributor
728 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoid Airfranceif travelling with children

I'm traveling AF but ticketed Delta in September. The Delta web site would not let me choose the AF seats, so I called and chose seats. The Delta web site shows me as having the seats, so the initial selection took, anyhow.

I think that, when I arrive in Paris, I will at that point go and confirm my seats with a real person.