We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Chic in Paris?

UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What is Chic in Paris?

This is really a what to wear and where to clothes shop in paris question. Luggage being limited, packing has to be honed to perfection.

I know comfy shoes, theft proof purse, layers etc. Those are not the details I am after, I would like to know the essentials for chic dressing in paris? I am traveling in june.

What the hemlines skirt and dress lengths are fashionable?

Shoes, what heels?

What is classy in one culture is tarty in another? What is classy in Paris.

The "ethnic look " is quite trendy in the UK at the moment but what is happening in the fashion capital.

Shopping where to go for stylish clothes something special quality/ designer that will not burn the creditcard too badly.

Finally I am a UK size 8 (think that is a 4/6 in US) what size in France?

Cheers,

Bastille Market
Flea & Street Markets
Rue Mouffetard Market
Flea & Street Markets
Rue Cler
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
VALENCIA CALIFORNIA
Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Chic in Paris?

Yes I also would like to know. I thought skirts, but what length? I'm short so longer ones look terrible on me. Are shorter skirts acceptable with flat shoes?

Hoping it will be warm enough for that.

Thank you

2. Re: What is Chic in Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:28 am, July 04, 2005
Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Chic in Paris?

alex: thx for the fashion report!!!! :o)

what are "havainanas"???

VALENCIA CALIFORNIA
Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Chic in Paris?

So Mini jeans are capri's ?

I guess I'll just pack 2 jeans, 2 capri's. No short skirts then. I'm used to wearing them here in Valencia in the summer because it gets up to 110 F.

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is Chic in Paris?

It looks like maybe I was a little "ahead of myself", bringing my Miami capris and my open back kitten-heeled sandals to Paris two summers ago!! When I arrived, I saw NO ONE else wearing them, so I put them at the bottom of the suitcase until I arrived in southern Italy, where anything goes LOL

VALENCIA CALIFORNIA
Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What is Chic in Paris?

So Ellimae, you think I should just bring jeans. My packing is getting lighter and lighter. LOL :)

paris, france
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is Chic in Paris?

havaianas are 'tong' ? that's how we say in french :) but i'm not sure it has the same meaning in english lol, tong song :P (you know the brasilian open shoes, very simple http://www.havaianas.com/). it's a famous brasilian brand. springtraveler, you know, it's true that i would rather wear my mini skirt in south of france than in paris, but i will wear it also in paris, if it's hot. and my friends were mini jean skirt during the winter with boots, it's very nice.

Appley Bridge...
Level Contributor
624 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is Chic in Paris?

Flip-flops! Too funny; Beach Bum attire in Paris. They're oddly popular in NYC too (they've become business casual) so I guess I can't be that surprised.

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is Chic in Paris?

Ok-

I am not one to wear only what everyone else is wearing...but...I do have a pair of jeans that I plan on taking...they are my favorite, most comfortable jeans. They are the ones with the really large(long)cuffs turned up on the bottom. They go great with my cute deisel walking shoes. Do you see any of these stlye jeans in Paris..or will I get stared and pointed at by all the french women(not that I care....I will bring them anyway). I something like that acceptable attire with a nice top/jacket to eat in a cafe, brasserie or bistro?

Thanks

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
329 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What is Chic in Paris?

Hey SpringTraveler,

This is what I plan to bring so far (bottom wise)--2 pairs of capris (beige and black), 1 pair of black slacks, 1 pair of dark jeans, I was contemplating 2 pairs of jeans in case I get pain au chocolat on myself (in the words of my boyfriend) I cna be clumsy sometimes! But since we are renting an apartment, we have a washer. And 2 knee length skirts, 1 white and 1 pastel, I know I may stand out but it's spring! And I'll probably just wear it out to dinner one night. Those are the going out bottoms at least.