We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion on my Paris Itinerary

New Delhi, Delhi...
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestion on my Paris Itinerary

Hello All, After reading many TA reviews I have managed to plan an itinerary. I was wondering if it seems practical or will be challenging as I will be travelling with my wife and 5 yr old daughter. I would love to get your suggestions on this.

Day 1: Arrival to Paris

Day 2: Palace of Versailles (Morning), Louvre Museum & Eiffel Tower (Evening)

Day 3: Montmartre, Champs Elysées / Arc of Triumph, Notre Dame Cathedral, Opera House...etc & Cruise on the Seine River.

Day 4: Disney Land

Day 5: Train to Zurich.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Palace of Versailles
Palace of Versailles
21,413 Reviews
Versailles, France
Louvre Museum
Louvre Museum
86,280 Reviews
Paris, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
120,750 Reviews
Paris, France
Montmartre
Montmartre
15,997 Reviews
Paris, France
Notre Dame Cathedral
Notre Dame Cathedral
62,711 Reviews
Paris, France
Seine River
Seine River
24,234 Reviews
Paris, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
13 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
215 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion on my Paris Itinerary

This sounds like a lovely trip, but I have a few suggestions. In my opinion, you're trying to fit way too much into your very short schedule, especially for a five year old. Definitely search this form for things to do with young children in Paris. I do that before my trips and find all sorts of museums and things to do I'd never heard of. Also, take a look at this website: https:/…best-things-to-do-with-kids-in-paris (my kids love almost all of these things). We usually stay two weeks at a time and still don't feel like we were able to do everything we wanted.

Day 1: Where will you be arriving from? If India, try to get out with your family and walk around. You might consider going to the Eiffel Tower that evening if you're feeling jet lagged. Depending on the time of year you want to go, there will be loads of things to do in the evening (kids really like Christmas markets if you're going in December).

Day 2: Honestly, I would skip Versailles and just do a few hours at the Louvre, walking around, and going to parks. My then 10 year old daughter found Versailles boring, although she loved walking around the park ground and visiting Marie Antoinette's farm. It's also a relatively long train ride (given your short stay) from Paris.

Day 3: This looks fairly doable. Take a look at a map and then a Metro map of Paris and see how close things are to each other. You don't want to be riding on the Metro all over the place unnecessarily. Ending the day with a Seine cruise sounds lovely.

Day 4: Disneyland--I've never been there, but check the Disney Paris forum.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
120,750 Reviews
Paris, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
300 Reviews
Paris, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,703 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion on my Paris Itinerary

What is the name and address of your hotel?

Day 3 is absolutely exhausting for adults let alone a young one. Get a map of Paris and look at where the things are. Remember you have to get from one to another by metro or bus or walk. I think you might have to drop a thing or two or three.

Day 4 - are you going from Paris to Disneyland? Are you returning the same day? Where are you staying? How are you getting from Disneyland to Zurich? And why is Zurich on your itinerary?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Zurich
Zurich
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion on my Paris Itinerary

Seems like day two will be challenging and ambitious and time consuming with too much to do for day two for sure and it makes plans for day three problematic especially if you leave much unfinished or undone. If you get off to a late start in the morning you will be asking for trouble later in the day. Itemize or identify your priorities and group them according to location and proximity. Match them up with you personal tastes and travel goals. Ask your family members to participate in this analysis. Look at a map to estimate the distances to be traversed. You might be exhausting yourself and your family if you ask them to follow you or keep up with your pace needed to accomplish these goals. Too much territory and sites to visit in a short time period. Louvre deserves more than a brief half day two hour visit at night. I agree with response # 2 namely that your proposed itinerary is far too exhausting and nearly impossible. Redraw your itinerary and drop a few places. You can see them on another voyage when you have more time. Proposed itinerary for day 3 will be beyond attainment with far too many places to reach. Louvre deserves more time than Disneyland. Skip Versailles for the reasons enumerated in response 1. Suggestion from response #2 for walking in the parks with your daughter makes sense. You might be ending up going to many places rather than being at places you say you want to visit. Slow down and enjoy a small part of Paris - not so much this time. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
France Louvre
France Louvre
300 Reviews
Paris, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Illinois
Level Contributor
18,212 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestion on my Paris Itinerary

I would not attempt day 2 with a 5 year old. I probably would not take a 5 year old to Versailles unless somehow the 5 year old knows about and is interested in it. (My daughter was but she was 11.) I'd have had to put some effort into getting her interested in the Louvre as well. In fact on the trip when she was 11, she lost interest partway through our visit, so I let her sit in a corner and play on her Nintendo DS while my sister and I looked at the Egyptian section (which my sister really wanted to see.)

Most of what you have planned doesn't sound very interesting for a 5 year old. I think my daughter might have liked climbing the Towers of Notre Dame and possibly going up the Eiffel Tower.

I'd consider reading her some books about Paris - maybe the Madeleine books? There could be others now, I haven't looked at children's books for a while.

Mentioned in this post
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
300 Reviews
Paris, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
120,750 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Madeleine
Madeleine
151 Reviews
Paris, France
New Delhi, Delhi...
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestion on my Paris Itinerary

Thanks Skaerje, will definitely review the link. I want my daughter to have fun so yes, I will cut out those places which I feel is stretched out.

As suggested, I will include Eiffel Tower on Day 1 which might be a good idea.

For Day 3, I am planning to carry a Paris Map marked with top locations....Will skip those which may be far or if we are tired to explore it.... Except for few top monuments & museums I won't spend time on them.

Mentioned in this post
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
120,750 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
New Delhi, Delhi...
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestion on my Paris Itinerary

Thanks Dale47_11, Yes...Day 3 appears to be packed but priority will be the top few's and will skip others if it doesn't fit.

Day 4: My plan is to stay within Paris to ensure walk-able distance around the top attractions..and a train early morning to Disneyland...I am not planning to stay there and will come back same day as we have to take a train to Zurich (Lucerne) next day, which may be little difficult if I stay in Disneyland.

Lucerne will be our base for next 4 days of Switzerland trip.

Let me know your thoughts !!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Zurich
Zurich
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
New Delhi, Delhi...
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestion on my Paris Itinerary

Thanks btgm, I agree with you. Mostly kids doesn't like to go places where adults want too and it will be a challenge. But will try to ensure she doesn't get too bored :), maybe by going to Disneyland a day early.

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestion on my Paris Itinerary

Hi, have you already bought your Paris-Lucerne train tickets? It can be a quicker trip to go TGV to Basel (3hrs) the change for 1hr trip to Lucerne.

Paris to Zurich is 4 hrs then a further 45 min to Lucerne.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Lucerne
Lucerne
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
San Diego
Level Contributor
102 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestion on my Paris Itinerary

I don’t think you can realistically get to Versailles and back in the morning. It’s going to take at least 1 1/2 hrs to get from hotel to train station and train station to long line at Versaille. Lines are too long and tour of chateau is so crowded, a 5 yr old is probably going to have a melt down somewhere along the way.

Mentioned in this post
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
New Delhi, Delhi...
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestion on my Paris Itinerary

Thank you 107sharong, Fortunately I haven't yet booked it...will be booking this week as my Trip is in September. I did miss this point...will book it until Basel and then to Lucerne.

Mentioned in this post
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Reply to: Suggestion on my Paris Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted