We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An evening and a day in Paris. Help with basic questions.

California
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
An evening and a day in Paris. Help with basic questions.

All,

A family of three (2 Adults and a 10 yr kid) arriving Eurostar at 1.45pm on a Tuesday in July. Staying at 6th arr. (St. Placide) Leaving next day at 6:43pm back to London.

May have couple of backpacks for the day.

We completely understand, its a very short time. So don't have to much expectations in covering many sites

Many questions :-)

1. Should we take Metro 4 from Gare du Nord or Taxi at about 2.15pm on Tuesday. Which would be faster to the hotel.

2. From the hotel (after parking bags) what would be best way to get to Eiffel Tower (I assume taxi is better as there is no direct train from St. Placide) Have Eiffel Tower tour at 4.00pm.

3. I am not sure how long we can be hanging out at the top of ET. can anyone confirm whether we can be there till dark?

4. If we are out of ET at 7.00pm, is Arc de Triomphe good option as its in same direction as Eiffel. I was leaning towards walk around Notre Dame. Heard that its a must to see at night.

5. If its Arc de Triomphe plan on taking Metro 6 from Trocadero station Etoile or Taxi.

6. We are vegetarians. Any recommendations for eating (Italian/Mexican/Indian) near Eiffel/Hotel

Next day,

1. I know Louvre Museum is closed on Tuesdays. There are many openings, at this point don't want to lock on a time there.

2. In the interest of time, does it make sense to rent a taxi tour for 4-5 hours (with the fact that then we won't do justice to any but touch many sites). if yes, is there any recommendations for English speaking taxi tours?

3. or Big Bus PAris Hop-on Hop-off is a better option package with Siene River cruise. I read Siene River cruise is an hour and may be walk on the right bank?

4 Any good creppe place near the hotel?

5. I understand an hour time difference coming from London. If Eurostar is at 6.45, with an hour for checkin, what time should I leave Right Bank (due to traffic) to get to Station by 5.45?

I will have more questions further down

Thanks much

Mentioned in this post
Le Saint Placide
Le Saint Placide
191 Reviews
Paris, France
London
London
England, UK
Gare du Nord
Gare du Nord
2,179 Reviews
Paris, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
120,721 Reviews
Paris, France
Arc de Triomphe
Arc de Triomphe
37,929 Reviews
Paris, France
Trocadero
Trocadero
5,492 Reviews
Paris, France
France Eiffel Hotel
France Eiffel Hotel
441 Reviews
Paris, France
Louvre Museum
Louvre Museum
86,255 Reviews
Paris, France
Big Bus Paris
Big Bus Paris
3,032 Reviews
Paris, France
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,240 Reviews
from $102.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
8 replies to this topic
Rambouillet, France
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An evening and a day in Paris. Help with basic questions.

You are throwing money to the wind with all these taxi rides considerations. The forum lately is showing signs of taxi fatigue with all the people getting ripped off from the eurostar train station taxi roulette scams...

Dark at 10pm in June, nearing 11 for post twilight.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,691 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An evening and a day in Paris. Help with basic questions.

I would get a taxi from the official taxi rank at Gare du Nord to your hotel. Then again as you only have backpacks you could get the metro. If you take a taxi, have your hotel written down plus the postcode and hand it to the driver. Paris is not the place to hire a taxi for several hours. Most speak little English and that's not what they do. They go from A to B.

<<If we are out of ET at 7.00pm,>> the sun will still be shining. As ATF said - dark isn't until nearly 11pm.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel At Gare du Nord
Hotel At Gare du Nord
610 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
California
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An evening and a day in Paris. Help with basic questions.

Thanks for quick reply.

I understand I cannot be at the summit till it gets dark at 9.20pm (with a 4.00pm entry). I did read about the taxi scams and hoping its a one-off situation.

1. Any recommendations for Vegetarian restaurants (Indian/Italian/Mexican) near ET.

2. Since we have only one evening is Arc de Triomphe better option than walking around Notre Dame at night?

3. Thinking about Louvre Museum first tour in the morning

4. After the museum planning to do "2cvparistour.com" tours as TA folks had given good reviews for it.

5. Return Eurostar at 6.45pm. Plan to be on a Metro or Taxi to Station by 4.30 or so.

Any recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Arc de Triomphe
Arc de Triomphe
37,929 Reviews
Paris, France
Louvre Museum
Louvre Museum
86,255 Reviews
Paris, France
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: An evening and a day in Paris. Help with basic questions.

We are going to be in Paris for one night with our two boys and I reserved Cedric's car ride for the afternoon. It will be a 2.5 hour car ride. I actually got 2 cars since there are 4 of us. I think (hope) that it will be a good way to see a number of sites, get out and take pictures...

Edited: 11:27 pm, June 12, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An evening and a day in Paris. Help with basic questions.

Bonjour, Federer,

To get to the Eiffel Tower, you may walk to the Momtparmasse Metro station and take line 6, Direction Charles de Gaulle-Etoile to Bir Hakeim and walk to the Eiffel Tower. The link below includes a walk from the ET to Notre Dame, which includes the Arch of Triumph. Are you planning to go ip the AoT or just visit it? If the latter, it seems to me that you could do both the AoT and Notre Dame.

https://tinyurl.com/zq9py53

The walk also includes detours to the Alexandre III bridge and the Louvre (courtyard). Since you plan to go to the Louvre, you could bypass the Louvre, but I think that the Alexandre III bridge is worth the time.

Instead of walking, you may take Metro line 6 to the AoT and then from the AoT, take Metro line 1 to the Hotel de Ville stop (the Hotel de Ville is a beautiful building). From there, cross a bridge to the Ile de la Cite and Notre Dame.

How long is the 2CV tour? Maybe afterward you could pop over to Berthillon on the Ile St Louis for some ice cream.

I have read on this forum that you need to be at the Gare du Nord only 45 minutes before departure.

Have a wonderful trip.

MrsJAS

Edited: 1:51 am, June 13, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
120,721 Reviews
Paris, France
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
300 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel de Ville
Hotel de Ville
1,331 Reviews
Paris, France
Ile de la Cite
Ile de la Cite
5,003 Reviews
Paris, France
Berthillon
Berthillon
1,960 Reviews
Paris, France
Louis
Louis
134 Reviews
Paris, France
Gare du Nord
Gare du Nord
2,179 Reviews
Paris, France
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,691 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An evening and a day in Paris. Help with basic questions.

5. I would plan on being at Gare du Nord 45-60 minutes before your train. I also think that the metro might be a better option as with a taxi you are heading into peak hour and it is always busy around that station.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel At Gare du Nord
Hotel At Gare du Nord
610 Reviews
Paris, France
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,544 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An evening and a day in Paris. Help with basic questions.

There is a man who runs a gold mine just next to the St. Germain des Pres Metro stop. He serves crepes which, by the consistently long lines, must be great. You could at least take a look at Les Deux Magots which is across the street and the Eglise St. Germain.

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Saint Germain des Pres
Hotel Saint Germain des...
345 Reviews
Paris, France
Illinois
Level Contributor
18,141 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: An evening and a day in Paris. Help with basic questions.

You could stay on the Eiffel Tower until dark, but it would be really boring to be there that long. They don't throw you out until closing, however.

I like walking around Notre Dame better because I don't really like the Champs Elysees. But there's no reason you couldn't look at both after dark if you stay up that late. (I rarely see anything after dark in the summer in London and Paris because after dark is so late.)

I have never taken a taxi to get anywhere in Paris because public transport is so good. Changing metro lines is not difficult.

Mentioned in this post
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
120,721 Reviews
Paris, France
Champs-Elysees
Champs-Elysees
17,559 Reviews
Paris, France
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Reply to: An evening and a day in Paris. Help with basic questions.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted