We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Useful apps for Paris

Michigan
Level Contributor
193 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Useful apps for Paris

We will be in Paris soon! We will be going from Prague to Germany and then Paris. Are there any useful apps that you would suggest I download to my Iphone before we leave? Do they have Uber? Is it reliable? Do we use the same app for Uber as in the US? What about an app for translations? Is an app helpful in restaurants? Can anyone suggest a good monetary conversion app?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Germany
Germany
Europe
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,238 Reviews
from $102.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
16 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,855 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Useful apps for Paris

The only app I use for city transportation, i.e. buses, trains, métro, is Citymapper.

Uber is available in Paris, I no longer use it and do not recommend it. I do recommend using Chauffeur Privé or Taxify.

I don´t use restaurant apps and could not recommend one.

Do you really need a money conversion app? The dollar to euro rate has been roughly between $1.15 and $1.20 to 1€ for quite some time. If you find that determining 5€ is roughly equivalent to $6 to be difficult, you can always used your smartphone calculator.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,649 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Useful apps for Paris

I use transportation apps and sometimes google maps for directions.

For currency conversion I use XE - just to check the trends. Keep in mind that your actual rate of exchange will depend on your credit/debit card provider and any fees they may add.

Virginia
Level Contributor
495 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Useful apps for Paris

I love Next Stop Paris for getting around on the metro.

The Google translate app comes in handy from time to time, but you don't necessarily need the app itself.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Useful apps for Paris

Uber is available and its the same app.

I like to use the RATP app for Metro and bus lines. It also provides info on construction and shutdowns.

I use the TA app to find restaurants near me. I have found some good ones using that app.

Google maps to find your way around. I combine that with a compass map so I can orient the map. It;s easy to get turned around after exiting a Metr so I check for north and open maps.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Useful apps for Paris

One more thing....try tp find an app that can do menu translation. You will use that more than any other translate app.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
828 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Useful apps for Paris

I like Here WeGo. You can save points of interest in collections and it gives you navigation (walking, public transit, and driving). Just preload the cities/regions offline before you leave.

California
Level Contributor
7,765 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Useful apps for Paris

Food Lovers Paris by Patricia Wells is the best app for menu translations--the food glossary is excellent. A standard language translator is not going to be very useful for menus.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Wells
Wells
Somerset, UK
Michigan
Level Contributor
193 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Useful apps for Paris

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking for a conversion app mostly for when we are in the Chech Republic.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Useful apps for Paris

I spent a week in Prague last year. I didn't need any apps. Everyone spoke English. For conversion I found it easier to have a little calculator in my purse. Once you've worked out, say, $10, $20 and $50 of your currency into Czech currency, that's all you need really. A rough guide to know whether it's affordable or not. You don't need to know down to the cent

Edited: 1:09 pm, June 10, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Tehran
Level Contributor
809 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Useful apps for Paris

In addition, to apps suggested earlier, I found Maps.me great for navigation. Once downloaded, it allows you to download individual maps for any city you like (i.e. Paris, Prague and so on) and it operates offline. I also recommend Foursquare to locate restaurants, nightlife and things to do. I have downloaded "Speak & Translate" app and used a few times but in Paris, I found that most people are apt to speak some degree of English, hence didn't have any reasons to use it there. WhatsApp, IMO, Viber and Telegram are also great apps for communications and you might have some already. Louvre and Disneyland Paris also have their own individual appa available at the app store.

Good luck

PS: In Prague, the attractions centralized within the historic district (Old Town, New Town and the Lesser Town) and it is small enough to walk around everywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
300 Reviews
Paris, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Prague