We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Area to Stay?

Weehawken, New...
Level Contributor
398 posts
84 reviews
Which Area to Stay?

Visiting Paris for 5 days. What's the best area to stay? Is there a TA link out there with some guidance?

Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,906 Reviews
from $39.40*
$43.70
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,296 Reviews
from $109.30*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
14 replies to this topic
Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Which Area to Stay?

Here is a link that describes the neighborhoods: https:/…Neighborhoods.html. I have seen a lot of suggestions for staying near the river in Le Marais, Saint Germain or the 5th arrondissement and many people consider these to be the best areas for a first time visitor because of ease of access to most of the places that most first time visitors want to see. But like your neighbor, New York City, Paris has lots of areas that could be the best for some people but not for others.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Which Area to Stay?

Searching this forum will reveal lots of discussion on this topic.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Which Area to Stay?

I usually give people this link to get an overview of neighborhoods.

https:/…neighborhoods

My personal favorite is the Marais, in the rue St.-Antoine area near Place des Vosges.

In general, try to stay in the lower-numbered districts, closer to the Seine. The islands of Ile de la Cite and Ile St. Louis are a good point of reference for being "central".

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41,013 posts
663 reviews
4. Re: Which Area to Stay?

Price can play a factor in what area you want to stay. What type of budget you working with?

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
704 reviews
5. Re: Which Area to Stay?

usually stay in the 5th or 6th,

mainly due to ease of accessing public transport - which is excellent and efficient

easy access to enable walking the banks of the Seine and most of the "tourist sites"

easy access to RER B - to from CDG and the transport hub of St Michel - Odeon

Edited: 2:28 am, March 16, 2018
Weehawken, New...
Level Contributor
398 posts
84 reviews
6. Re: Which Area to Stay?

Thanks for the links.

@Jordansbulls - budget is around 150-200/night

I see the hotels at Montmartre are cheaper compared to other touristy areas. Is this a good place to stay? I understand this is nice area to visit. As we all know, sometime nice neighborhood to visit may not the best location to stay from the ease of transport standpoint.

Region of Murcia...
Level Contributor
763 posts
1 review
7. Re: Which Area to Stay?

Montmartre is very nice; the only downside is that some of the surrounding areas can be sketchy and some hotels on those areas are sometimes dishonest in advertising themselves as located in Montmartre.

If you tell us the details of those hotels, we will be able to help ;-)

Thetford, United...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
98 reviews
8. Re: Which Area to Stay?

Alberto is right about some hotels claiming to be in Montmartre when it isn't. As for increased travel times...yes Montmartre is further out from the centre geographically, in reality it only adds 5 or 6 minutes onto metro journey times to the centre of Paris compared to other areas.

Weehawken, New...
Level Contributor
398 posts
84 reviews
9. Re: Which Area to Stay?

Thanks, Alberto and Vendee33. If I stay in Montmartre, I'll make sure to get a hotel from a good brand :)

Thetford, United...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
98 reviews
10. Re: Which Area to Stay?

We are not so big on brands here in europe. Most of the best hotels are non-chain, individually owned establishments.

Edited: 4:14 pm, March 16, 2018
Reply to: Which Area to Stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted