We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay in?

Level Contributor
62 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Which area to stay in?

Hi. We have only a short stopover in Paris and I am unsure which area to start looking for our accomodation. We arrive Gare De Lyon, 3:30pm and then have 2 nights in Paris, leaving from Gare du Nord 8:10 am. Should we stay near the train stations or another area of Paris to allow us more sightseeing. We are thinking of doing the hop on off bus. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Skip-the-Line Admission...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,279 Reviews
from $102.90*
4 replies to this topic
Thetford, United...
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay in?

Given that you will need to be at GdN around 7.30 for your train, I would suggest staying somewhere within easy reach of the station. You look fairly young and fit from your photo so I would suggest staying somewhere in the 9th arr which is to the west of GdN. That's a 15 minute walk (I'm assuming you won't have too much luggage). At least with walking, your fate is in your own hands and won't be at the mercy of any problems on the metro.

I don't know your budget but have a look at Hotel ibis Paris Grands Boulevards , in the 9th. Its fairly central in a good area and 15 minutes walk from GdN. The HOHO bus isn't generally recommended here. You should be able to walk to most places and use the metro for some attractions.

Level Contributor
62 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay in?

Thank you for your help. I will look into the Ibis hotel.

Edited: 7:13 am, March 11, 2018
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay in?

>> arrive Gare De Lyon, 3:30pm and then have 2 nights in Paris, leaving from Gare du Nord 8:10 am. <<

There are many options here, but in your situation I would be inclined to take the #1 Métro, or walk (just over 1km), to Bastille. A cheap but okay hotel is the Daval, about three minutes from the Bastille Métro station. The rooms are teeny-tiny and the bathrooms are tinier still, but it might be okay for a couple for two nights. (Maybe less than €100 per night.) I used to stay there when traveling alone. Plenty of eating places of all kinds right around there, and it's right by the Marais area, and in walking distance of Notre Dame.

From the Bastille station you could take the #5 line to the Gare du Nord without changing lines. I'm just giving this as an example, considering your timeframe - we don't know your budget.

You might consider the two-hour Foxity bus tour, rather than a HOHO. You stay on the bus; it is said to give a good - and time-saving - overview of Paris.

-- Steve

Level Contributor
62 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to stay in?

Thank you Steve.

Reply to: Which area to stay in?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted