We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol in Paris

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Alcohol in Paris

Just to be sure, can you drink alcohol in public places (namely parks) in Paris? Forgive me if this is a silly question!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Alentejo, Portugal
Level Contributor
420 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcohol in Paris

I'm almost sure you can, why on earth would it be forbidden?

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcohol in Paris

I remember reading recently, that nowadays you theoretically need to cover the bottle. But generally, I don't think you'll have to worry too much (as long as you don't misbehave). A picknick with wine is nothing unusual in France.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcohol in Paris

Becouse here in the the US there is a law called open container. Which means you can not have open alcoholic beverages in many public places such as the park or especially in the car (you could be in trouble if they even found an empty container in your car). You could be arrested! For instance here where I live in the summer there are many concerts downtown, you could not buy and drink and go outside to listen to the music. So the idea of opening a bottle of wine, while picnicing is new!

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcohol in Paris

We sat on the metal chairs and ate our lunch and had plastic cups of wine in Luxembourg Parc. We saw many people doing the same thing.

Montreal
Level Contributor
152 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcohol in Paris

Same as Discover.

Not sure what the official rule is but obviously, having a bottle of wine with your lunch is part of the culture.

Not sure what your plans are but I suspect that as long as you don't plan to walk down Champs Elisee guzling down beer cans, you'll be fine.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcohol in Paris

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k11140…

Note metromole's post.

7. Re: Alcohol in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, August 29, 2009