We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel advice please.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
39 posts
29 reviews
Travel advice please.

Please excuse me for not trawling through all the previous threads for this specific information.

In June, I am arriving at CDG airport, terminal 3. This is on a THURSDAY afternoon. I wish to travel to my accommodation which is near the ROME metro station.

I will be in Paris for 4 nights, travelling back out to CDG airport on the MONDAY.

During my stay, I wish to visit the city tourist sites (making use of the Metro where possible) but also take a trip out to Versailles.

I have briefly read about the Navigo Decouverte which appear to run Monday - Sunday.

What, therefore, would be my best / cheapest options for my journeys during my stay?

There are two of us travelling together.

Thankyou.

11 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
10,197 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Travel advice please.

You could buy Navigo Decouverte smart card (5 €) and load it for a week of travel to zones 1-5 (22.80 €) on Thursday on arrival at CDG and use it until Sunday midnight. It makes financial sense if you will use public transportation to get from CDG to Paris as well as for Versailles trip.

However, if you plan to take a taxi to the city, perhaps you overpay (it's still very convenient though) buying pass.

For using public transportation within city limits, you could buy carnet of 10 single ride t+ tickets for 14.90 and share them w/ your husband and for ride to Versailles buy individual tickets (~4 € one way pp) covering this distance (Paris - Versailles Chateau Rive Gauche).

If you decide on ND pass, then on Monday use taxi to get to the airport or buy single tickets for RER train for Paris to CDG (10.30 €).

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
495 reviews
2. Re: Travel advice please.

response #1 contains good advice. Do not over stay your welcome at Versailles given your time constraints.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
39 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Travel advice please.

Thankyou for the above.

So, a single ticket CDG to Gare Du Nord is 10.30 euros?

Is it possible to buy a return ticket which is cheaper?

Does the 10.30 euro ticket take me all the way to the Rome metro stop?

Paris to Versailles is 4 euro pp single? Again, can you buy a return ticket?

As you say, its a matter of doing the maths for the amount of train/metro travel we will be doing.

California
Level Contributor
8,533 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Travel advice please.

<<Is it possible to buy a return ticket which is cheaper?>> No

<<Paris to Versailles is 4 euro pp single? Again, can you buy a return ticket?>> You can, but it won't save you any money--it's 8€

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
344 posts
1,765 reviews
5. Re: Travel advice please.

The last few times we visited Paris we bought our train tickets from CDG online from HelloParis ( there may be other online sellers but this is the only one I know) obviously it is more expensive as you have to pay for the postage to your UK address but there is no waiting in line for tickets when you arrive . We come straight off the plane ( hand luggage only) and head straight for the train.

The ticket will take you to your nearest metro station but they warn "If you decide to physically leave the underground system during your journey, your ticket will no longer be valid"

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
117 reviews
6. Re: Travel advice please.

Hi Yorkie, as mentioned, the Navigo Découverte would work well for you and save money. It can be bought and loaded at the RER station at CDG.

To give you more options, you can take RERB to GDN and transfer to métro line 2 at La Chapelle, direction Porte Dauphine and get off at Rome, all on the €10.30 ticket. The correspondance from GDN to La Chapelle is a 7-10min walk to the overground station.

You can also take the Roissybus to Opéra and transfer to bus 53, at the RHS of the Opéra Garnier if facing the front. Take it as far as the Rome-Batignolles stop. Again all travel covered with the Navigo. €12 without Navigo plus 1 t+ ticket for the bus.

Another option is Le Bus Direct, a coach from CDG, line 2 will take you to Charles de Gaulle Etoile(Arc de Triomphe) from there enter the métro and take line 2, direction Nation and get off at Rome, unfortunately Le bus direct not covered by Navigo and would cost €17 one way, plus 1 metro ticket.

Of course the easiest way to get to Paris if you are not sure of public transport, is a taxi, fixed rate of €50 to any right bank address for up to four people with luggage.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
10,197 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Travel advice please.

There are no return tickets (to make them cheaper) to / from CDG or Versailles, but you can buy 2 tickets pp and use one for each direction. It's especially advisable for travel to Versailles, as ticket line for return trip might be very long there.

10.30 € RER ticket from CDG covers RER B ride and transfer to any metro along until you get to Rome metro stop, as long as you continue you travel and don't leave underground travel system.

When you change from RER B at Gare du Nord stop to M2 at La Chapelle stop the system recognizes it as continued ride (it's allowable change) even though 2 different stops are involved. Each time use the same ticket that you started using at CDG for continued ride. Keep the other / unused ticket, if you buy it for return to CDG ride, separately to not mix them up.

Redington Shores...
Level Contributor
682 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: Travel advice please.

Navigo decouverte is the best bargain in Paris. Get it at CDG from a manned ticket booth on level 2 near Rer B station. Briing a small head photo to be attached. Buy zones 1-5 for a week and you're all set to ride Rer B from CDG into Paris, all metro and buses, the funicular Sacre Coeur, Versailles, St Denis, and your return trip to cdg. Save the hard plastic case. It can be used again and again for ten years after loading it with required number of days each time you're in Paris. You won't be sorry.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
117 reviews
9. Re: Travel advice please.

If you do get the Navigo on Thursday and do get it on Thursday, as after midnight any loads on it are are only valid starting Monday, it will run out midnight on Sunday, so not valid for Monday return to CDG. Follow any of the routes I gave in post 6 for your Monday departure.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: Travel advice please.

Two Glaswegians on the Paris forum at almost the same time??

:o)

Reply to: Travel advice please.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted