We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Paris safe for teenagers

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Africa
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Topic
Is Paris safe for teenagers

We will be in Paris in June with 16 year old twins - a boy and a girl. My son wants to do as much climbing as he can e.g. Eiffel by stairs. Is it safe to let him do the stair route while we take the lift. We won't be in telephone contact. I am worried about getting lost. What other sights have lots of stirs to climb. Is there any place where I can leave the teenagers for an hour or two while my husband and I go somewhere else?

South Africa
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Paris safe for teenagers

Thank you for all these really interesting tips. How does one catch a taxi in Paris. I heard you can't just flag it down. My son really wants to do the Catacombs, which is not my cup of tea. Could the children do the catacombs and could we meet them at the exit. My son has also been asking about the rollerblading in groups. Does anyone know anything about it? Thanks once again for all your help

Washington DC
Level Contributor
678 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Paris safe for teenagers

Before you go to Paris, buy identical city maps of Paris. Give one to each teen. Show them where your hotel is located and mark it in ink. Although maps are not the same as being there, it will give them a sense of distances and arrondissements. I don't know about yours, but my teen is clueless about directions, and having a map with top sights laid out on it helps.

As another poster suggested, give each teen 20Euros and a hotel business card with instructions that the money is for emergencies only. If they get lost, they whip out the card and cab it back to the hotel. Distances in Paris are not that far and depending on where you stay, walking is an option with a map, especially in the daytime. (By June, it will be light out until 10pm.)

If you plan to be in one place, e.g., the Louvre, Eiffel Tower for more than one hour, pick a pre-designated spot to meet at a certain time regardless of circumstances. The spot should be as specific as possible.

Germany
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Paris safe for teenagers

I would recommend not using Taxi's. Paris has a very efficient subway system calle the Metro. You can buy a Metro pass for all day and it's not that expensive. There are stops near most of the main attractions throughout the city.

http://www.paris.org/Metro/

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,745 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Paris safe for teenagers

I can't see any problem for a 16 year old boy to climb up the Eiffel Tower stairs. My teen would hate having a walkie talkie to be in permanent contact : they like to be in their own for a while, not always stick to parents!

I understand that you are worried about getting lost, I suggest that you simply agree on a meeting point in case it happens, and generally in every place you want to be able to walk around alone (in museums, attractions, department stores, etc) : go first to the place with them (for example that bench near the big tree under the Eiffel Tower, the museum cafe, ...) to be sure the meeting place is clear for everybody and set a meeting time. That is what we usually do with our 3 kids when we are travelling and it allows everyone to enjoy better (and no use of a cell phone for everyone !).

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is Paris safe for teenagers

tripadvisor.com/…817567

London, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is Paris safe for teenagers

...I just returned from taking two 16 year old boys to Paris. No cell phones, walkie talkies, or ESP...... and they had a great time. They travelled all over the core area with a carte d'orange and a metro map, were on their own for several hours each afternoon exploring this wonderful city , were out in the evenings walking around the Latin Quarter and beyond......with absolutely no problems. I expect their memories of Paris in the years to come will be as wonderful as are mine.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,593 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is Paris safe for teenagers

Taxis are caught at "Taxi" stands. They are like bus stops , easy to find as they have big signs ( round I think with either the word "taxi" or a big"T" in the circle) . Just stand there and a taxi will pull up, sometimes I have seen a phone for the taxi near the stop.

Paris is small enough that even a ten euro ride will usaully get you to the hotel from most central areas.

If your kdis were in a panic( I have no idea why , but for the sake of argument lets just say they are) and can't find a taxi stand they can go into a nicer hotel and have the desk call one, BUT, keep in mind it will cost more as the taxi meter will start running from the call on.

I think the idea of all having the same map is a good one, and also using landmarks to navigate by, the streets can drive one crazy going this way and that, but the Eiffel Tower , Notre Dame, the Seine, etc all easy to see use to navigate. Maybe it is just what has always worked for me. Also I find it easier to ask for directions to a major site ( then a hotel address) and then just find my way back from that site to my hotel.

18. Re: Is Paris safe for teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:26 am, August 29, 2009