We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air conditioning in late August a necessity?

Daly City...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Air conditioning in late August a necessity?

Hello! I am planning my first trip to Paris next August, and I couldn't be more excited. :) In another thread, someone mentioned that at that time of year I should be sure to book a hotel with air conditioning. I am actually leaning towards renting an apartment, and have actually found a lovely place in Le Marais with a beatuiful little terrace and garden that I am leaning towards, but it has no air conditioning. I'm finding most apartments don't. Is the AC a make or break thing? Should I forego the apartment for a hotel with AC, or will it be enough to have the outdoor space etc.? I am used to quite high temperatures in the summer, up to about 90F/32C, but I do not live in a humid climate so I am not as used to the humidity.

47 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
12,115 posts
565 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air conditioning in late August a necessity?

Yes, you need air conditioning in the summer in Paris! A friend was miserable in June of last year, in the Marais. We were saved by the air in our apartment in late June. August will only be worse. I don't care how wonderful is the apartment. If there is no air - and ceiling fans will only push hot air around - I will not rent it.

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,409 posts
1,090 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air conditioning in late August a necessity?

For me, yes - without a doubt. Usually, August is the hottest month in Paris.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
24,572 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air conditioning in late August a necessity?

For me as well - it is a necessity. I was in Paris beginning Aug 20 in 2016. The first day or so was fine then it was up in the 90'sF and it was just absolutely miserable to me. Museums are often under airconditioned to me and restaurants often don't feel cooled at all. I wound up having to go back to my AC hotel room in mid-afternoon. I've been to Paris a number of times and was there for about a week that time so it didn't crush me to have to spend time in the hotel in the afternoon.

I am an early bird so I did the parks in the early AM but would not have been able to tolerate them in the afternoon unless in shade.

I don't tolerate heat well so lodging without AC in August would be a no-go for me.

Edited: 1:33 pm, December 08, 2017
paris london
Level Contributor
4,875 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air conditioning in late August a necessity?

Up to you. Some people can tolerate heat better than others. Some rooms/apartments get hotter than others due to orientation, window size, etc.

As you have found, most apartments don't have aircon, the reason being that it's only worthwhile for 3-4 weeks a year max, making it an extravagance. Unfortunately no one can tell you which 3-4 weeks the hot weather will fall in.

If you feel aircon is important for you, then a hotel will be better, or at least more likely to have aircon. The higher the price, the more likely a hotel is to have aircon. In budget hotels (and I assume you are on a budget because you're looking at apartments) it's not the norm.

If you find an apartment without aircon, remember a good fan (if provided) could be enough. I have a Dyson, which I feel is actually better than aircon, and certainly has a more immediate effect. One of those tiny 30€ tabletop jobs is far less effective, so if an owner says an apartment has a fan, get full details.

It's not humid in Paris, by the way, or rarely so.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
520 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Air conditioning in late August a necessity?

Here’s my experience... I don’t have AC at home, as I live in an apartment, and it usually is only an issue for a short time in the summer. It does get humid in MN, though. And I much prefer the heat to winter!

We were in Paris last June, during a heat wave. It was very, very hot, though not especially humid. I only mention this, because reading other posts from visitors around the same time, people thought it was humid, so it can be relative how it feels to you.

At home in the summer, with no AC, I can drive in my air conditioned car to my air conditioned office, or store, or movie theater, or go to the beach, etc.

In Paris, even places with AC are not likely to be what it is like in the US, so it can feel like there is little respite. Plus you will be excited to see and do a lot, and the heat can put a damper on your enthusiasm.

During the trip in June, we still walked miles and miles, but it was awfully nice to be able to go back to an air conditioned room in the afternoon if needed and definitely to sleep at night.

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
221 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air conditioning in late August a necessity?

The weather in Paris is very changeable..... you never know ! I've been to Paris 3 times. The first two at the beginning of September, some days it was comfortable (like to wear a long sleeve light shirt during the day and a light jacket at nigh)t, other days it was very cold day and night. This year we were there from August 29 to September 15 and it was cold every day and night. We've never needed a/c in our room in none of our trips. So, if your trip is in LATE August as you mention, I don't think the air conditioning will be necessary....

Daly City...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air conditioning in late August a necessity?

Thank you Cecille. I am arriving 8/23 and leaving 9/2, so a bit earlier than when you were there but not by too much.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts! Decisions, decisions... the idea of sitting out on the nice terrace for coffee and breakfast or for some relaxation in the evening appeals to me very much and I do prefer to have the kitchen to minimize some of the expense of dining out for every meal, but I could certainly find a hotel with AC for the same price or maybe even a bit less. I always feel a bit confined in hotels; for me, I don't tend to want to sit in them and relax when on vacation since they are usually sort of impersonal. I would much prefer to be OUT of the room. I was thinking with an apartment, I would be more likely to enjoy the slower pace that many of the forum posters encourage people to enjoy in Paris.

Level Contributor
28 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air conditioning in late August a necessity?

It depends on how you can survive without air con.

If the weather is dry you can easily bear the heat from 25ºC to 30ºC at extreme temperatures (it does not happen every year). The humidity is not like in Asia.

If you are unlucky it would rain, thus the temperature will fall quickly.

Many people do not have air con at home. AC in the hotel can be a nice to have, but no a must have.

hope that helps.

Have nice trip.

S.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air conditioning in late August a necessity?

Yes, you need it. I will not go back to Paris again in summer without it.

California
Level Contributor
8,386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air conditioning in late August a necessity?

We were in Paris this year Aug. 10th - 27th and we ran our air conditioner about half that time, a few days here and there. We've been in Paris at some point every summer for the past 8 years. The first 2 years we were fine with open windows and fans, but the 3rd year was horrible and that's when we bought our A/C. We've used it most years since. It's much more humid than here in California, and the air is still. 90 degrees there feels considerably different than 90 degrees here.

Reply to: Air conditioning in late August a necessity?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted