We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Part payment in cash for apartment listed on TripAdvisor?

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Part payment in cash for apartment listed on TripAdvisor?

I found what seems to a great apartment for EUR780 for 4 nights and put in a booking request.

The owner then declined the request and sent a quote where they asked for a 50% deposit through TripAdvisor plus a 25EUR cleaning fee and the rest in cash on arrival.

Is this legitimate or a scam? The property has TripAdvisor Payment Protection but does that only apply if the full amount is paid through TripAdvisor?

Thanks for your help.

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,279 Reviews
from $103.80*
9 replies to this topic
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Part payment in cash for apartment listed on TripAdvisor?

If terms were actually *changed* from what was published I would run. If this is the first time you are finding out the terms then it is your choice whether you want to follow thru. All but 1 of the apts. I have rented have involved some partial payment in cash. A cleaning fee is normal.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,946 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Part payment in cash for apartment listed on TripAdvisor?

The TA platform is set up so that all payments go through them. Any other payment arrangements are outside of the terms and conditions that the owner agreed to when they placed their listing on TA.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,595 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Part payment in cash for apartment listed on TripAdvisor?

If you are paying in cash then you don't need payment protection. You don't hand over the cash until you are in the property.

Paying cash on delivery is one of the best ways to avoid being scammed.

California
Level Contributor
8,356 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Part payment in cash for apartment listed on TripAdvisor?

#3 is not entirely true. What if something unforeseen happens early in the rental period, and the property isn't inhabitable for the remainder of the stay? Paying the landlord directly in cash would nullify TA Payment Protection and you'd be on your own to collect a refund from the landlord.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,869 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Part payment in cash for apartment listed on TripAdvisor?

As a female solo traveler, I also worry about the safety of walking around with a lump of cash in my pocket en route to check-in. I may be paranoid, but I can see some bad guy knowing that a flat has frequent arrivals carrying large sums of money. They couldn't do it too often, but it would make a nice little windfall to steal someone's purse as they're trundling their suitcase up to the address.

Check with TA, as I think when someone lists with them, they undertake to accept payments through them. Ask TA if you can insist on paying through them.

Bottom line is, what's the advantage to YOU of going outside the booking channel? If no advantage, don't even consider it.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
10,053 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Part payment in cash for apartment listed on TripAdvisor?

..." The owner then declined the request and sent a quote where they asked for a 50% deposit " ....

Obviously there is something fishy.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Part payment in cash for apartment listed on TripAdvisor?

I am not even understanding what is going on here. But those terms are extremely common for vacation rentals, there is nothing at all unusual about that (50 pct deposit), if that's what you mean. Many people would be thrilled to not have to pay anything else until arrival, most make you pay 100 pct in advance and it's nonrefundable within maybe 30 days of arrival.

So I'm not sure what the scam is being suggested. Obviously, if you don't pay cash until arrival, you can't lose that money since you haven't paid it, so what is the issue about insurance.

I've paid people for apt rentals with cash upon arrival, some owners dont't have the ability to take credit cards, that really isn't unusual. If you are there and see it and checked in, I don't understand the concern with that. I don't rent super expensive places, though, so even half of a week's rent isn't that much, less than 1000 euro. I just get it from an ATM nearby.

Now I don't understand what the owner is doing about supposedly "declining", etc., but the whole issue about Payment Protection seems irrelevant. It does NOT cover you if you move in and then have plumbing problems, Tripadvisor's payment protection doesn't apply to that kind of thing, it has very limited conditions, they specifically say they don't cover <<maintenance issues with amenities or services>>, or cleanliness, or minor differences of opinion, location, etc. It covers you if you cannot gain entry at all or it doesn't exist, or you rented a 3 BR and get a 1 BR, etc.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Part payment in cash for apartment listed on TripAdvisor?

Thanks. How do I check with TA? I couldn't find a way to contact them...

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,869 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Part payment in cash for apartment listed on TripAdvisor?

Assuming you booked through FlipKey:

Email contact form: https:/…conopts

Phone contact: +44 (0)203 701 5397

Reply to: Part payment in cash for apartment listed on TripAdvisor?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted