We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In our 50's and Finally heading to Paris, we need some help.

North Canton, Ohio
12 posts
Save Topic
In our 50's and Finally heading to Paris, we need some help.

We are staying at Marriott's Village d'lle-de-France at Allée de l'Orme Rond, 77700 Bailly-Romainvilliers, France. We understand that we will need to obtain a pass for public transportation. We arrive on Christmas Eve and don't want to be sitting in a hotel on Christmas Day. We were looking at Dinner at Eiffel Tower with River Cruise and Moulin Rouge, but it is very expensive. Then we saw the Lido Show and the Dinner on the river cruise. So many choices...We just need some recommendations to make our Christmas memorable.

Thanks

California
Level Contributor
8,200 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In our 50's and Finally heading to Paris, we need some help.

It sounds like you're looking at tours operated by 3rd parties? You can easily do these things on your own and spend a lot less money (and have control over your time). To book dinner at the Eiffel Tower, look here: restaurants-toureiffel.com/index.cfm/…

For a handy river cruise after dinner, here: https:/…guided-tour.html

Moulin Rouge, here: https://www.moulinrouge.fr/reservations

Then take a look at the RATP website to calculate how to get from one to the next: https://www.ratp.fr/en

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
733 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In our 50's and Finally heading to Paris, we need some help.

Is it your desire to be near Disney and so far out of Central Paris, or is this, as Annette asks, a tour package? My suggestion if you want to see Paris is to stay in Paris. If you want to take a day or for Disney, that's fine, but stay in Paris if at all possible. There are a ton of great hotels that are not crazy expensive at all, and all the sights most people wish to see are a short walk or Metro or bus ride away. You'll spend a lot of time riding trains in and out of Paris staying out there.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In our 50's and Finally heading to Paris, we need some help.

Purchase a Navigo Découverte card and load it with a one week, zone 1-5 coverage. The ND card is 5€, requires a 25mm x 30mm photo of the bearer and must have his name printed in the space provided.

The fare will cost 22.80€, will be valid from Monday, the 25th, until the following Sunday. The card loaded with this fare will take you anywhere you want to go on the RER, métro, bus, funicular, or tramway. You´ll need transportation from the hotel to the Marne-la-Vallée/Chessy station located at the Disney entrance. It takes about 1 hour to reach most destinations in Paris.

You have chosen some of the most expensive, tourist oriented activities in the city. I would buy discount tickets for a river cruise (not one of the dinner cruises), the Tour Eiffel costs 17€ to go to the top level, and chose a good restaurant. The Moulin Rouge is said to have rather good food.

That´s plenty to keep you busy the entire day keeping in mind it will be dark by 16h30. For discounted river cruise tickets:

http://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com/

Edited: 11:27 am, October 18, 2017
California
Level Contributor
8,200 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In our 50's and Finally heading to Paris, we need some help.

If I were planning something special for Christmas day, I'd skip the Moulin Rouge or Lido entirely. I've been to Paris over 30 times and haven't had the desire to attend either one based on reports of the experience being crowded, overpriced and a bit tacky-touristy. But I know many people entertain the fantasy of attending...so disregard my disinterest if it's an idea you cherish. If you just don't know what else to do, I'll give a few ideas. I searched "Dinner at Eiffel Tower with River Cruise and Moulin Rouge" and found it offered with Viator for about $350 USD per person (which is roughly 300€). As I alluded to in post #1, I'd never book with a 3rd party. We read unhappy reports here all the time about difficulties getting refunds, etc. With this budget in mind tho, I'd opt for a nice dinner, followed by:

Tour 58-- 99€ on Christmas day, and only the 6:30 seating is available right now, so book fast.

Le Train Bleu--absolutely gorgeous restaurant at Gare de Lyon that is open on Christmas day, about 75€ a la carte (before wine), or choose one of the menus @ 49€, 65€ or the splurge @ 110€ http://www.le-train-bleu.com/uk/index.php

Bofinger is open on Christmas--beautiful restaurant, specializing in seafood and choucroute dishes. You'd spend perhaps 75€ per person plus wine (or less, depending on what you choose). You can reserve easily online (ask for a table under the dome) http://www.bofingerparis.com/

Or do a dinner cruise aboard Le Califfe. Their Christmas menu/prices aren't posted yet, but you can email to ask and they will get back to you within a day. It's a lovely boat with good food, and they go by the Eiffel Tower when it twinkles. http://www.calife.com/english/index.html

Then after dinner, have your restaurant call a taxi and ask the driver to show you the city (an hour might be 60€ or so). Or take a taxi to one of the river cruise docks and do a 1 hour river cruise (not if you've just gotten off Le Califfe, tho!)

Or email 4 Roues sur 1 Parapluie to ask if you can reserve for Christmas and take a private chauffer-driven night drive bundled up in the back of a 2CV convertible --24€ and up per person 4roues-sous-1parapluie.com/EN/recherche/esca…

Or simply walk the banks of the Seine admiring the monuments lit up at night, the moon twinkling off the Seine, and pop into a wine bar for some vin chaud.

North Canton, Ohio
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: In our 50's and Finally heading to Paris, we need some help.

We are Marriott owners and so it made sense to stay where we did not have to pay for additional hotel rooms.

North Canton, Ohio
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: In our 50's and Finally heading to Paris, we need some help.

Thank you all for the information. I realize that I need to make decisions quickly due to the Christmas holidays. I will look over the suggested websites and start booking. Your comments are very helpful.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,383 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In our 50's and Finally heading to Paris, we need some help.

It is truly penny wise pound foolish to book so far out of Paris if Paris is your object. Paris is enchanting at night and strolling for breakfast at a cafe in St. Germain or the Latin Quarter or pretty much anywhere in Paris is delightful. You are spending to come to Paris -- be in Paris. You can easily book an okay hotel room for 100 Euros a night and still be in the city and for 200 Euros a night a quite nice hotel room. Even free, a room is no bargain if it means you spend much of your valuable time commuting and don't have the experience of being in Paris.

Are there no Marriotts in Paris?

North Canton, Ohio
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: In our 50's and Finally heading to Paris, we need some help.

Maybe we are trying to do too much. We are starting at Disney and then spending some time in Paris before flying to Basel to enjoy a week on the Rhine Cruise.

I was able to book dinner at Eiffel Tower at 6:30. We will arrive in Paris in the afternoon and see the sights before dinner. That will make a memorable Christmas.

I am always open to suggestions. Thank you.

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
733 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In our 50's and Finally heading to Paris, we need some help.

^^^ Indeed, and not to pile on here but do figure in that cost of transportation, and the fact that daylight is short, and you'll be losing 2 +/- hours per day right off the bat. Hotels are well priced in Paris, lots of charm for the buck, or Euro...

Paris
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In our 50's and Finally heading to Paris, we need some help.

I agree with other people here that you really should consider staying in Paris. Also, why are you flying to Basel, when the train is so much easier? When you factor in going to the airport and the cost of that, it doesn't make sense to me and in fact will take longer. You can go from central Paris to central Basel by train in about 3 hours, and it is a lot less stressful than flying.