We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La defense hotel area

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
213 posts
243 reviews
Save Topic
La defense hotel area

We are thinking of staying in the Renaissance there because we can use points for free room. Is this a bad choice ? We will be there for vacation.

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,279 Reviews
from $103.80*
32 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,592 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La defense hotel area

La Defense is an office park outside Paris. I would never stay there. It is fairly easy to get into Paris on the Metro line 1 which goes to the Louvre and some other tourist sites, but in the evening, there you are in an office park that is largely deserted and you are unlikely to be able to make use of your hotel during the day to drop packages, or change clothes or catch your breath because it will involve a commute. I would never stay outside Paris on a first trip to Paris. Part of the joy is a stroll along the Seine at night and walking out along charming streets to grab breakfast in the morning.

California
Level Contributor
8,356 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La defense hotel area

There are other Renaissance hotels within the city limits of Paris that would all be a better choice than the one at La Defense.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
213 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La defense hotel area

Yes I know there are better ones but this is the one with free nights. I guess we will have to try something else. Thank you.

paris london
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La defense hotel area

I would not hesitate to stay there if you're getting a good rate. It will take you around 30-40 minutes to reach any central destination, and there is a shortage of restaurants/nightlife in the immediate area, but if all you want is somewhere to sleep cheaply it is not a bad choice. An equally good hotel in a more central location will cost a lot more, so it is question of how much you want to pay for convenience.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
213 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La defense hotel area

Thank you very much. We may need to save the money and stay there and spend our money on the cafes!

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,679 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La defense hotel area

"but if all you want is somewhere to sleep cheaply it is not a bad choice."

That's really good advice and gives you a lot to think about. I'm with janettravels on this one--because that would never be all I wanted when visiting Paris.

You say "I guess we will have to try something else," so here's a suggestion: indicate what you need (for example, accommodations for 2 adults, or whatever your situation is) and indicate a budget range per night (indicate the midpoint to maximum amount you can spend per night). You'll get some great suggestions that fit your circumstances.

Edited: 2:06 pm, October 17, 2017
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
213 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La defense hotel area

If we don't stay in the hotel,we will likely do air Bnb. Any suggestions on best area? We stayed in le Marais once and Palaiseau another.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La defense hotel area

Palaiseau??? well, if you can stay there, La Defense is better than that.

La Defense is right on metro line 1 and RER going into the center of Paris, if you didn't care about doing stuff around the hotel, it would be fine, actually. But it's a business area.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
213 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La defense hotel area

Thank you!

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La defense hotel area

if you are using points i would not stay at La Defense. If there is a hotel in town use your points in town. La Defense is a way out, close to maybe 1/2 hour to get into main part of town. La Defense has a nice shopping mall, but that itsn't where museums, etc are and isn't that one of the reasons you are going to Pairs. to adventure, see, do etc

Reply to: La defense hotel area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted