We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air BNB Regulation Question

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Air BNB Regulation Question

Hi- We just booked air for our first trip to Paris next May and would really like to rent an apartment. I've read about the new Air BNB regulation, but I was curious if anyone had a vibe of the impact to a reservation made prior to implementation of the new laws? Is there any known advantage to booking now although our trip will be after the new regulation has started?

Thank you.

Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,903 Reviews
from $39.60*
$44.00
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,295 Reviews
from $109.90*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,559 posts
5 reviews
11. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

<<If I understand correctly from my reading on a variety of websites that discuss this issue, the regulations don't require registration for units that are zoned (classified?) commercial properties rather than residential.>>

As if this were not sufficiently confusing already, it is true that many ground floor or rez de chaussée apartments are legal to rent without restriction. The question arises as to how does one advertise such an apartment, assuming it does not need to be registered, without a potential renter worrying about legality.

Airbnb has promised to purge their listings of all apartments not having registration numbers, yet there may be some, and not a large number, which do not need to be registered. It seems that the owner would want a registration number just to satisfy both advertisers and potential clients.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
182 posts
184 reviews
12. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

Exactly, Sarastro! If these ground floor commercial zoned apartments end up not needing registration numbers, how would AirBnB know that they are legal?

I guess we will have to see in January what the situation is. We aren't returning to Paris until next year (and we want to stay in the same apartment, as it was perfect for our needs), so if needed, I can always text the apartment owner if his unit suddenly doesn't appear on AirBnB.

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
26 reviews
13. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

>License or registration number

7512000167108<

So how would you check that number against the register - is that publicly searchable online?

If not I can see loads of scammers just making up random numbers - unless AirBnB checks those itself, I can still see there being a problem.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,559 posts
5 reviews
14. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

The numbers are linked to an owners taxe d´habitation record. As soon as Airbnb forwards the revenue totals for the year for each owner to the state, they will know if a number is false. So will the government An owner would have more than a 50,000€ fine at risk, he would now expose himself to fraud. There might be some who would risk losing their property but there is great incentive not to.

Oakville, Ontario...
Level Contributor
90 posts
42 reviews
15. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

Lynda

would you be willing to share the link for the place you rented? We are looking for an apartment that will accommodate 3 couples.

Thanks

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
182 posts
184 reviews
16. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

This apartment definitely wouldn't accommodate more than one couple! It is quite small with only one double bed (not even a sofa bed) and there's not really seating in the living room for more than two people. Sorry I can't help.

Redington Shores...
Level Contributor
682 posts
34 reviews
17. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

Hi MplsA, I’ve used a bona fide Paris apt agency, MYTIMEINPARIS for several years, booking at least 5_6 apts for several weeks. They have a brick n mortar office in Sarasota and are legit. They have great apts, esp on left bank, in lots of price ranges and a generous deposit refund policy. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them. I’ve a.resdy booked a 2/2 in 6eme fir a month next Sept and a friend has booked a studio nearby for a month too. Very good service, fair prices, exc locations, and great apts.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
182 posts
184 reviews
18. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

Reminds me that we used Haven In last year and really loved our apartment then also. They are more expensive than some other agenicies, but U.S. based and great apts and service.

https://havenin.com/

Not sure how they are responding to the upcoming enforcement of short term rental laws in Paris, though, in terms of whether the apts they represent are registered and therefore legal.

Edited: 11:01 pm, October 18, 2017
Rennes, France
Level Contributor
4,887 posts
17 reviews
19. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

By definition, flats belonging to a company that own several units are not primary residences. As far as I understance, the only way such a company can be legit in renting these flats for short-term rental all year round is if they are registered as a commercial company (and pay the relevant commercial taxes, and comply to health and safety requirements).

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,559 posts
5 reviews
20. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

Soph5035 is correct, with rare exception, only apartments which are offered by their primary resident qualify for registration and are thus legal to rent. Rental agencies themselves have virtually nothing to do with whether an apartment is offered legally or not.