We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My wife's 24th birthday with our baby girl of 1 and half

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
My wife's 24th birthday with our baby girl of 1 and half

I'm coming to Paris tomorrow with my wifey and our little baby girl

Saturday were going to Disneyland and Sunday its my wife's birthday

any good recommendations for a special day like restaurants and activities (bare in mind we have a little girl)

thanks in advanced :)

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
12 replies to this topic
Lier, Belgium
Level Contributor
574 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My wife's 24th birthday with our baby girl of 1 and half

you might want to check la cité des sciences that small children like, but I can't remember if my grandchildre liked it at that age. Google it !

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,362 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My wife's 24th birthday with our baby girl of 1 and half

With a child this age, restaurants are out, you need to be looking for informal brasserie and cafes. One place I have actually seen toddler high chairs was Le Paris Montparnasse on Ave du Main east of the Montparnasse train station near Edgar Quinet metro stop. It has a pleasant ambience and a diverse menu of standard French foods and toddler chairs. The food is fine but not a gourmet destination but it is ideal with a small child.

I would not organize destinations around the child at this age; there are lovely little toddler play areas all over the city in large parks and even tiny pocket parks. There will be bouncy horses, sand pits etc. This is even true at Cathedral Notre Dame which has a toddler play area on the side. The science museum is undoubtedly better than it was 20 years ago when I took my daughter when most of the stuff was broken but in any case it is not appropriate for a child this young.

Mentioned in this post
Le Paris Montparnasse
Le Paris Montparnasse
487 Reviews
Paris, France
Montparnasse
Montparnasse
1,125 Reviews
Paris, France
Edgar Quinet Hotel
Edgar Quinet Hotel
98 Reviews
Paris, France
Lier, Belgium
Level Contributor
574 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My wife's 24th birthday with our baby girl of 1 and half

Restaurants are totally apropriate for dining with children and if a restaurant doesn't want a child then it will not have me.

Europe
Level Contributor
3,269 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My wife's 24th birthday with our baby girl of 1 and half

At 1 1/2 they're way too young for Disney. Take them to one of the many parks with playgrounds. Don't waste your money on Disney.

When my daughter was about a year old we had a fast six birthday lunch at Brasserie La Lorraine. They did have a high chair.

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,362 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My wife's 24th birthday with our baby girl of 1 and half

Restaurants mean starting dinner no earlier than 7 and usually at 8 or so and involve multiple courses and at least a couple of hours and often 3 or more for dinner. A toddler is simply not designed for such venues. An older child that can behave like an adult is of course welcome in any restaurant; a toddler is often a disaster. It is rude to take one to a traditional restaurant. I imagine any restaurant would be pleased that someone who thinks small children belong everywhere would shun their restaurant. There is nothing wrong with a toddler melting down or becoming disruptive if expected to sit still for a 2+ hour meal late in the evening; there is a lot wrong with parents who would put them in this position.

2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: My wife's 24th birthday with our baby girl of 1 and half

Thanks i. Think I will be looking at the science museum as I've red good feedbacks about it :)

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: My wife's 24th birthday with our baby girl of 1 and half

I'm not going for fancy meals just dinner and go on time our toddler is quite oright in restaurants especially when she get to eat our food too haha

Lier, Belgium
Level Contributor
574 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My wife's 24th birthday with our baby girl of 1 and half

I totally disagree about the poster saying it is rude to take a toddler at a restaurant, maybe this poster has no patience for kids or no kids or has encountered kids in restuarants who were not well behaving but there is absolutely nothing rude about taking a kid to a restaurant. I have taken my kids, my grandkids and now my grand grand kids to restaurants and never never encountered anybody finding us rude. I don't know in what world a kid in a restaurant would be rude.

Sussex
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My wife's 24th birthday with our baby girl of 1 and half

Ikkekmk I look forward to being Mamie - not sure I'll live to be great grandmother but I hope I'll take them out with me as you do. Ours got a bit tired and irritable around the one hour mark. Paper and crayons help as well as a little walk outside if crying has broken out. We were expected to be quiet and well behaved when out with our father in Paris while he argued ad nauseum about politics etc. I was bored to tears and often ended the night asleep under the table. Waiters/waitresses were always very sweet to us - my father simply ignored the tut-tutting at other tables.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,943 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My wife's 24th birthday with our baby girl of 1 and half

I don't think it's rude to take a VERY young child to a formal restaurant, I think it's cruel to the child .

My toddlers usually are early 5-6 , and were in bed by 8 . I didn't force them to live as an adult , they need more sleep .

Reply to: My wife's 24th birthday with our baby girl of 1 and half
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted