We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BHV: Is it worth a visit?

Virginia
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
BHV: Is it worth a visit?

Hi: After reading some posts on this board, I think that I've determined that BHV is a pretty terrific hardware store; is that correct? Is it a must-do shopping experience? Location?

Thank you.

New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
1. Re: BHV: Is it worth a visit?

The BHV (Bazar de l'Hotel de Ville) is actually a department store with an extensive hardware/DIY section in the basement. It is located across from the Hotel de Ville, in the Marais. For me it is definitely worth a visit, because it is the department store that is most like a real store and least like a glittering showplace. The ones on the Grands Boulevards are lovely to look at but I never buy much there. To me they are more like Bergdorf's or Bendel's here in New York, while the BHV is more like Macy's, where I actually shop.

California
Level Contributor
442 posts
1 review
2. Re: BHV: Is it worth a visit?

BHV is my favorite store, but I'm a 'hardware' junkie. I'd rather be at Lowes/HomeDepot than Bloomies - I'm weird that way. And BHV has some really interesting DIY stuff in that basement.

However, if this is not your 'thing' it may be boring to you - the upper levels are regular 'department store' clothing items - I have no idea what it's like up there, as I always head straight for the basement.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,927 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: BHV: Is it worth a visit?

The hardware dept. is undergoing a major reno right now and the place may not be up to its usualy splendour.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,083 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: BHV: Is it worth a visit?

It is not just a hardware store. I bought wineglasses, crockery, a raclette appliance, and other things there that I wanted in the apartment I rented last October. It also has a huge arts and crafts area, stationery etc.

The hardware area on the lower ground floor was great but its future seems to be under a cloud. Metromole recently reported that BHV reducing the area dedicated to hardware and also the range of products available, so don't leave it too long to visit or they might have closed down the hardware section in the meantime.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k10599…

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: BHV: Is it worth a visit?

If you're interested in hardware stores, you can also visit the Leroy Merlin store near the Centre Beaubourg (52, rue Rambuteau).

By the way, it's not just the basement of BHV that may interest you - also have a look at the door handles, hinges, etc. on one of the other floors.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: BHV: Is it worth a visit?

I just learned that the BHV basement bricolage will be restored to it's former splendor - sans bricolage cafe - after the floor is updated as part of a building-wide renovation. The men's store now occupies some of the space previously used by the tool rental, glass cutting, etc. departments so they are temporarily crammed into off-premise quarters.

I was worried that the BHV would just become another 'Galleries Lafayette Maison' satellite store after GL acquired BHV but it appears you'll still be able to buy power tools there. Whhhooo! That was close.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,927 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: BHV: Is it worth a visit?

Wahooooooooo............ Although I will miss the Bricocafe, glad to know that I still have a supplier for my calf skins!

las vegas
Level Contributor
485 posts
8. Re: BHV: Is it worth a visit?

The BHV hardware dept. is fantastic. If you are there, take a look up at the ceiling, where the many layers of wiring and plumbing make a fascinating pattern.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
678 posts
122 reviews
9. Re: BHV: Is it worth a visit?

Is there anything else in BHV worth checking out (besides hardware)?

New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
10. Re: BHV: Is it worth a visit?

I loved the table linens section, where I bought some beautiful tea towels, and the art department, where I bought a few lovely matted prints that I framed when I got home.

I also like the personal and home fragrances section on the main floor.