We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel in the St Michel area?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
589 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel in the St Michel area?

Hi!

My husband and I have been to Paris a few times and we have always stayed on the right bank. On our last visit we discovered the area near St Michel with all of the wonderful restaurants (Rue Harp) and would like to stay near there next time we visit which is in November. Any hotel recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel in the St Michel area?

One of my favourite hotel in the St Michel area is the Hotel Britannique, a very charming and lovely 3 star hotel....

The decoration is very romantic..

Rooms are of good size and I found the prices affordable for what is offered.

Staff is also nice and smiling.

You can see it on http://www.hotel-britannique.com

have a nice trip!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
589 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel in the St Michel area?

Hi Happy Travel!

It's so funny that your mentioned this hotel. I just looked into it last night. It's across the Seine near Le Halle - is that correct? Did you think the area around the hotel was seedy at all? Thanks so much for your answer.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel in the St Michel area?

I happen to love the St. Michel neighborhood very much. From the fountain to the small restaurants tucked away there's much to explore. I know most view those storefront restaurants with a jaundiced eye, but they're fun to check out.

Tucked into the University of Paris Medical School is the Hotel St. Pierre, at 4 rue de l'Ecole de Medecine. I have stayed here every time I've been in Paris, as the hotel is within easy walking distance to St. Michel and Odeon Metro Stations.

I don't know whether you'd call this the 'best' hotel in the area, but it meets my criteria - clean, quiet and reasonably priced. It's only a 2 star hotel, so there are few frills. The rooms are small by American standards, but what else do you need a room for other than sleeping?

The quaint elevator is the old-fashioned cage style, and you can watch the floors go by as you travel up and down. Every time I've stayed here it has been populated mainly by other French-speaking guests so it hasn't had that overwhelming feeling of being a "tourist" hotel. I like that. The housekeeping staff is extremely friendly.

The front desk people are efficient and pleasant, if a little brisk. They all speak English well. The breakfast room/lounge looks out onto the street which is always humming with activity, not to mention the local RATP bus which uses the narrow street as part of it's route.

The Hotel was updated recently, with the French doors which open onto a small perch (good for keeping drinks and such cold) having been replaced with more airtight ones and mini hair dryers in the bathrooms. Only certain rooms have a full bath, so be specific when reserving. Cable TV and Internet access are available, as well as a soda machine and pay phone stashed in the back of the lobby out of sight.

I think when I was there last the room rate with full bath/shower was under $100.00 US. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
589 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel in the St Michel area?

Hi Beans and Cod!

I totally agree with you that the St Michel area is great. Thank you for the hotel recommendation. The birdcage elevator sounds exotic. I will see if they have a website and look into it. Merci!