We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fireplaces in apartments???

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
13,418 posts
126 reviews
55 helpful votes
Fireplaces in apartments???

Hi ... I asked about an apartment with a fireplace as to whether it was a working one ... the owner responded that they are illegal in Paris.

I have looked at a few others around St Germain with fireplaces and actually supplying firewood .... so are they just breaking the rules or are there exemptions?

Thanks ... we'll be there at Christmas and the idea of a fire warms my heart but only if it's legal.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
1. Re: Fireplaces in apartments???

It has been forbidden for a while, it's now authorized AS LONG AS the owner has proof of regular chimney sweeping for insurance reasons.

The thing being most owners don't care to have the pipes regularly maintained, hence there's a real risk of soot blaze.

…gouv.fr/IMG/jpg/tableau_bois_2015_ter.jpg

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
10,036 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Fireplaces in apartments???

Having your chimney swept by a professional, which is necessary to satisfy the insurance companies, isn't cheap, and supply and storage of the necessary dry wood is another problem area, so it isn't surprising that many just declare their fireplaces out-of-use.

California
Level Contributor
8,959 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Fireplaces in apartments???

Additionally, some buildings have chosen to close up the chimneys permanently so no fireplaces in the building can be used.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
6 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Fireplaces in apartments???

It was long illegal to avoid contributing to the air pollution, which led many people to close or demolish their fireplaces. Now the impact of wood burning is so small compared to the car exhausts that it is tolerated.

As long as the proper security measures are observed , that is an annual chimney sweeping.

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
26 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: Fireplaces in apartments???

>Now the impact of wood burning is so small compared to the car exhausts that it is tolerated.<

Actually Flore, the latest thinking is that wood-burning is a big problem for human health, so I suspect the policy may change again before too long:

http://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h2757/rr-0

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39115829

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
13,418 posts
126 reviews
55 helpful votes
6. Re: Fireplaces in apartments???

Thank you all for your replies. I don't mind if the owner/manager tells me they don't allow a fireplace to be used, I understand that perfectly ... I really resent them lying about why though.

I have found two beautiful apartments with fires but they allow smoking and I don't want to stay somewhere that stinks of cigarettes.

Thanks again.

Europe
Level Contributor
3,510 posts
151 reviews
298 helpful votes
7. Re: Fireplaces in apartments???

I always understood it was illegal too. So the change might be relatively recent and that landlord may not be lying as much as simply not up to speed on the latest regulations.

Perpignan, France
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
90 helpful votes
8. Re: Fireplaces in apartments???

The change took place in 2015.

Rambouillet, France
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
18 reviews
13 helpful votes
9. Re: Fireplaces in apartments???

Honest Abe, look at the listing's photo of the fireplace and choose the apartment that has a modernised fireplace with a jotul inset if you want to increase the probability of using it. Unfortunately, the new furnace-look albeit efficient by tossing another cup of pellets in the barbie it just doesn't have that old Kris Kringle feeling.

If the apartment allows smoking then I would bet the neighbour's barn it smells like an ashtray.

Perpignan, France
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
90 helpful votes
10. Re: Fireplaces in apartments???

The landlord may not want people to use the fireplace because though it is legal, it is still dangerous if people are not careful. Or he does not want to have to supply tenants with wood. Or he fears sparks on the carpet and smoke on the wallpaper .......