We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
26 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Just back

Just returned from 9 days in Paris with teenage daughter. Thanks to all for info and advice. We were in Paris all of the week before Easter. MANY TOURISTS! Long lines everywhere.

Paris is vying to be site of 2012 Olympics so everything is spiffed up, with colored lights along the Seine at night and the lights on the Eiffel Tower twinkle for the first ten minutes at the top of the hour.

Took a day trip to Mont-St-Michel and stayed overnight on the Mont. Wonderful!

No problems with pickpockets or in using ATMS. Didn't use VISA card at all (due to 3% surcharge from VISA). Weather was wonderful, spring is in bloom. Happy to answer questions, but have no advice on hotels since we stayed with friends of friends.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,928 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back

There are always coloured lights along the Seine and the Lights have twinkled on the Eiffel tower since midnight new years eve 2000, so I don't think that has anything to do with the Olympics. Regular Paris visitors who have been lately though are saying that the streets are cleaner than usual, so maybe some things have got better due to the Olympics. Glad you had a good time! Where were the longest queues?

dallas, tx
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back

when i was there last week the longest line i saw was at D'orsay... a museum pass was a lifesaver. the line wasnt moving fast either.

lines at versailles also built up quickly as time passed but died off in late afternoon.

lines at louvre were what i expected ... longish but nothing surprising

oh and there were of course lines at the famous icecream places on ....that one road.... my mind has gone blank. berthallion (spelling?) and ... the one next door. ah its been a long day at work :/

and also at maison du chocolat too the line went out the door for a ways =O

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
26 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back

Longest lines?

We waited 90 minutes in line to climb the Notre Dame tower. (arrived at 9 a.m.) It was also Good Friday so that may have added to the crowd scene.

Waited 90 minutes in line at Versailles.on Easter Sunday. Once inside, we were swept along with the human sea. Visiting the gardens was much more enjoyable.

About 45 minute wait at Saint Chappelle.

In general we hit one big place we thought would be crowded (Louvre, Notre Dame) first thing in the morning and spent the rest of the day wandering. It easier to tolerate standing in line first thing.