We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage Locker at Train Station? Need res to Paris?

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
60 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage Locker at Train Station? Need res to Paris?

Hello,

I will be coming up from Burgundy and plan to drop the rental car in Fontainebleau before taking an evening train to Pairs. I had a couple of questions:

(1) Are the luggage lockers at the station? Are the large enough to hold larger bags?

(2) It seems there are pretty regular trains to paris. Do we need advance reservations? This will be for a Wednesday evening in late may

(3) We will be coming up from Beaune - doing some site seeing along the way. We need to make it to the car rental drop off by 6pm. Is there any reason to expect crazy paris style traffic on that stretch or should the google maps time (2.5 hrs w/out stops) by pretty realistic.

Thank you,

bg

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,326 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage Locker at Train Station? Need res to Paris?

we came in for the day once to meet relative in Paris from Burgundy -- it was smooth sailing until we approached Paris where we ended up losing an hour in bumper to bumper traffic. I'd make your window generous and google and michelin estimates are always pretty optimistic. It is better to arrive an hour or two early than to pay for another expensive day on the car. (and rental agencies are notorious for trying to clip people -- be sure you turn it in to a human who gives you a receipt that it is in good condition and gassed. And keep your gas receipt -- a common scam is to claim you didn't return it full.)

Fontainebleau is far enough out that you should miss the worst of the Paris traffic -- but give yourself a cushion.

the trains from Fontainebleau don't fill up; they don't have reserved seating and worst that could happen is standing; they are basically commuter trains.

some train stations have left luggage capacity. Gare du Nord has large lockers -- you have to go through security first and have the luggage screened. I can't remember where the train to Fontainebleau comes in so don't know if that station has lockers.

Edited: 6:53 pm, April 22, 2012
2. Re: Luggage Locker at Train Station? Need res to Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:43 pm, June 18, 2013