We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing to Metro 4 at Gare de l"Est

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
83 reviews
70 helpful votes
Changing to Metro 4 at Gare de l"Est

I'm arriving at Gare de L'Est from Luxembourg and need to change to Metro Line 4. I'll have luggage and am not keen on indulging in the Parisian pastime of lugging it up and/or down stairs.

How easy is the transfer?

6 replies to this topic
Rennes, France
Level Contributor
6,109 posts
17 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Changing to Metro 4 at Gare de l"Est

If you don't want to haul your luggage up and down stairs, don't take the metro. There will be stairs at some point at Gare de l'Est, and there will most likely be stairs also at your destination, whichever station it is.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
83 reviews
70 helpful votes
2. Re: Changing to Metro 4 at Gare de l"Est

Thank you.

I’m heading to St. Michel, so I suppose the best option would be RER B from Gare du Nord?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
103,428 posts
17 reviews
18 helpful votes
3. Re: Changing to Metro 4 at Gare de l"Est

Take bus 38 from outside Gare de l'Est to St-Michel.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
83 reviews
70 helpful votes
4. Re: Changing to Metro 4 at Gare de l"Est

Thanks, but I’m not sure buses and suitcases go well together. I may have to end up using a taxi.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
103,428 posts
17 reviews
18 helpful votes
5. Re: Changing to Metro 4 at Gare de l"Est

If you have luggage, buses are much easier than the Metro.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
31,257 posts
106 reviews
73 helpful votes
6. Re: Changing to Metro 4 at Gare de l"Est

And note that taking public transport of any sort with luggage marks you out as someone traveling with all his valuables; make sure you are pickpocket proof. I use a money belt under my clothes on this sort of transfer and then stow things in the hotel safe or apartment before venturing forth to explore. If you don't do that, at least make sure no wallets are in pockets or backpacks but are very well secured where no one can pilfer them. Pickpockets are highly skilled; you won't see them, the stuff will just be gone. And it goes without saying, never set down the computer bag or purse or other bag with the most important valuables -- not on the seat next to you, not at your feet.

Reply to: Changing to Metro 4 at Gare de l"Est
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted