We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Besancon with children

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
7 posts
Besancon with children

Would you recommend Besancon (or nearby village) versus Dijon as a place to stay for 1-2 days with a young child? The tourist programme will be unambitious, with the focus on resting and keeping the child entertained. I suppose he can survive a trip to the Citadel if there is climbing/jumping to do, but museums (as much as the adults would love them) are not on the menu.

2 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,995 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Besancon with children

Besancon is interesting for the Vauban citadel which is heritage listed. For a child, probably the most interesting part of that is a few animals in the moat and maybe the huge treadmill which people walked in to bring water up from below. Apart from that it is the buildings, some of which are now museums.

Dijon would win for me.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Besancon with children

We just visited Bescancon (w/o children), and spent a fair amount at the Citadelle. There were loads of children there, particularly at the zoo and in the adjacent nature museums/centers (such as the Insectarium). I think it's a great place for kids, although I don't know if there really is anything else of much interest for them in the city.

Reply to: Besancon with children
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted