We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Autumn travel to Eastern france

Bideford, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Autumn travel to Eastern france

My wife and I plan on driving to the Besancon area from our home in Devon in September. Although we have harassed the french on the west and south coast for many years we have never been to this area so we will give it a go. We are retired and are happy stop and stay where we choose. We have no time scale but will probably take about a month providing it doesn't get too cold. any suggestion would be appreciated. David

Besancon, France
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Autumn travel to Eastern france

Hello David!

Go in this area is a good idea. In Autumn, the landscapes are amazing, particulary in the south of Jura

- I recommend you first the lakes area ( "région des lacs" in french):

First, you can do a stroll to the "pic de l'aigle" => it is a rock which surround the lakes and the forests.

The waterfalls of the hérisson river are also very beautiful and the lake of vouglans is one of the biggest french lakes.

Not far from this lake, you should eat in a restaurant which is called " le regardoir" with a wonderful view on the lake and a pleasant cook.

- After this excursion, you could go to " Chateau Chalon", a beautiful village perched above a cliff which produces the yellow vine ( vin jaune). The vineyard around the village is one of the oldest french vineyards.

- Not far from Chateau-Chalon, you should also go to " Baume Les messieurs". It is a little village with a magnificient abbey. The place is located in an impressive valley surrounded by mountains. Don't miss the " tuffes" Waterfall in its surrounded area. The village was classed as one of the most beautiful villages of France.

- When you will go back to Besançon from Chateau-Chalon, you should do a stop in "Arbois" which is the capital of the Jura vineyards. Many shops sell regional products like vin de paille, cancoillotte, comté, régional sausages, Morbier... that you must taste ;)

- you can make a detour by the "saline royale d'Arc-Et-Senans" classed by UNESCO World heritage. This place is interresting concerning architecture and history. ( It was built by Jouffroy d'Abbans)

- Besançon is a very pleasant city! there are many thinks to do there ( the citadelle classed by UNESCO, strolls in the beautiful city center ...) I suggest you go to "Montfaucon" by car to have a nice view on the city and its suburbs ( when the weather is clear, you can see the Mont-Blanc and a big part of the Jura Mountains.

for a dinner : " l'affineur comtois" . It is a restaurant in Besançon which offers regional food. Try the " crème brulée au vin jaune" for dessert. It is the better "crème brulée" that I have ever eaten ;p !

Other interesting places that I love if you have time:

- The " Saint-Point" lake next to Pontarlier.

In its surrounded area:

=> the " Saut du Doubs" : a big waterfall is reachable by boat ( In Autumn, this site is magical !! )

=> the west of Switzerland ( Lausanne, Genève)

=> the "Mont D'Or" to enjoy a view on the switzerland and the alps.

I think that you have the informations you needed :) I lived in this region so I know well this area. If the weather is good, you will not be disappointed ! People are nice, the gastronomy is delicious and the landscape is typical.

I wish you a pleasant stay in Franche-Comté!

Best Regards.

Martin

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Autumn travel to Eastern france

A very attractive region but do bear in mind that its geography makes the Jura (which is actually shared between France and Switzerland) one of the coldest areas in the whole of Europe. If you are spending a whole month there, you might be better making that month largely September rather than October.

Bideford, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Autumn travel to Eastern france

Thank you very much for your most helpful reply. We are looking forward to our trip to this area of France.

Bideford, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Autumn travel to Eastern france

Thank you we will bear that in mind.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Autumn travel to Eastern france

We just spent 2 weeks in the area and loved it. We divided our weeks between the Bugey/Savoie area and the northern Jura. Rather than list suggestions, I'll attach a link to the blog I wrote while we were there. It's in reverse chronological order. http://www.mainelywinenews.blogspot.com/

6. Re: Autumn travel to Eastern france

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, June 30, 2016