We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WWII Besancon

West Virginia
Level Contributor
381 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
WWII Besancon

I believe my grandfather may have stayed in the Cite' Univeritaire when the US tropps were in Besancon in 1944. Is there a person at the University that would interested in helping me find more information? I am afraid that my French is very poor, but getting better. I can try to write in French but it will be basic.\

Rob

Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: WWII Besancon

There is a Museum of the Résistance et Déportation.

Try their website. I would not be concerned regarding the language.

I have frequently inquired of museums, tourist sites etc and have not had a problem with English.

If you know your grandfathers division and that type of information you may be able to find information thru. the WWII Memorial site on line.

Despite being a small town Besancon was important in terms of the resistance and liberation during the War.

Also hosted by the Citadel, the museum of Resistance and Deportation is unique in France. It evokes the exactions of all kinds committed during World War II. There is also a special room that shows art works made by prisonners of concentration camps during their imprisonment that reveals their fears and thoughts. Contemporary works inspired by this period are also exposed.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
381 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WWII Besancon

Thanks Parisbaby2. I will check with them.

3. Re: WWII Besancon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, August 15, 2009