We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best options for connecting flights to Corsica?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
348 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Best options for connecting flights to Corsica?

Trying to figure out the best logistics to see how easy it will be for me to plan an early September trip (8-10 days). We would be planning a trip, arriving from overseas...could likely be via Paris but could even arrange to ensure the overseas flight gets me as far as Nice.

Which departure city would provide me with the most options to buy a flight into Corsica?

I am in the preliminary stages of planning what which area we want to spend most of our time around (but have read a lot of posts) and am leaning towards staying in Calvi and/or St. Florent (maybe 3 nights each)..and also drive down the west coast towards les Calanques (a night somewhere in that region) and maybe as far as Bonifacio area.

How easy will it be for me to then fly or take a ferry to Rome? Could I fly out of Ajaccio into Rome for instance? Would I be best to make it across to Sardina if I wanted to added Rome to the trip?

Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,905 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best options for connecting flights to Corsica?

Best flight options are out of Nice or Marseille. Pick one....you'll have lots of choices. I always fly from Nice. There are 4 airports on Corsica.

FWIW....I prefer Corse Sud.

Sched. air service between Corsica and Rome has been offered before but only limited flights in the dead of summer. There has been a ferry service offered to Civitavecchia (Rome) by Grimaldi Lines but I don't believe it is offered anymore.

Your best bet to go Corsica / Italy would be Bastia / Livorno with Corsica Ferries or Moby.

Edited: 10:50 pm, March 09, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best options for connecting flights to Corsica?

There are plenty of flights from Paris to Corsica too, so I would look at those first, it could simplify your journey. Then both Marseille and Nice are indeed good - ie one flight a day to each Corsican airport, maybe two to Bastia or Ajaccio - but connections from other major French cities - eg Lyon, Strasbourg - are also possible.

Paris flights include Easyjet to Bastia and Ajaccio, which look pretty cheap at the moment, and go from Charles de Gaulle. If you arrive at CDG from overseas that would save you the trip across Paris to Orly to get the AirFrance/AirCorsica flights to all 4 Corsican airports.

Bastia-Livorno ferry will certainly be the best Italian option in September. Going via Sardinia (fly from Olbia to Rome) will be a trek because you have to get from the ferry at Santa Teresa to the airport -hire a car, or see if you can track down limited public transport, quite high risk - although worth it if you wanted to spend some time in Sardinia.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,905 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best options for connecting flights to Corsica?

Balanina is of course correct....there are flights from Paris.

I used to live on the Cote d'Azur so its hard for me to not to find an excuse to find my way back there. :-)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
348 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best options for connecting flights to Corsica?

Thank you all very much. This information is useful in helping me review the possible logistics and whether or not I would want to extend my trip and return from Rome or simply go back home, via the same route.

5. Re: Best options for connecting flights to Corsica?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 12, 2015