We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay please?

uk
Level Contributor
260 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay please?

We are thinking of driving over from UK next June, would like some help on where to stay. Ideally we would like to be by a marina with lots of lovely restaurants at the water`s edge and close to a beach. Any ideas please? We also like 4* or 5* hotel! Have travelled around on google maps but confused. Help would be appreciated.

Regards

Kim

London, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay please?

St Florent or Calvi might suit.

uk
Level Contributor
260 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay please?

I have just had a look at St Florent, it does seem to fit the bill thanks, but are the restaurants very expensive? 100 euros per couple?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,653 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay please?

There are not a whole lot of 4 & 5 star properties on Corsica. Hotels on the island end to be a little more "rustic."

You might like Hôtel Le Golfe Piscine & Spa Casanera near Porto Pollo.

London, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay please?

Do you want them to be expensive? There are plenty in that range in and around Calvi, I don't know about St Florent. But I'd be careful - not all of the expensive ones are good v for m, and you can often eat very well for not much more than half that.

Near Calvi I can recommend Chez Edgard for meat and huge portions, Pain de Sucre for fish, Le Rocher ditto, U Fanale for 'nouvelle' Corsican, tho not tiny portions, U Columbu in Algajola. I'm sure there are lots more. If you want to splash out you could try La Villa, but I doubt that it's worth it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay please?

If on the other hand you in fact want to pay less than 100 euros a couple, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Standard 3 course menus are around the 20-25 euro mark, and with wine by the carafe, you can usually have a good meal for 60 euros per couple.

Calvi is much bigger than St Florent, so much more choice at both ends of the market.

London, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay please?

Hi Kim, driving from the UK is not exactly a straight forward journey, I would avoid it (unless you enjoy the idea of going through the French country side and are prepared to take your time to do so of course) . There are plenty of flights indirect options to all 4 Corsican international airports via Nice, Marseille, or Paris and a few direct flight options with easyjet and even BA (!!) which is much cheaper (and obviously more convenient, even including car rental) than driving.

As far as hotels are concerned, you have plenty of luxury options on the island if you want to (and for June you wont have to book 8 months in advance, 4 months will do!)...this is not bad entry point to look at your options http://www.lesgrandesmaisonscorses.com . Traditionally luxury in Corsican would include Murtoli, Grand Hotel CalaRossa, LaVilla Calvi, Casa Del Mar, Hotel des Pecheurs, etc. etc. and they are all amazing places. Don't worry to much about google maps...anywhere in Corsica will be great..and 5 stars hotel never get it wrong on this island...

Enjoy Corsica

uk
Level Contributor
260 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay please?

Hi thanks to you all for your advice. We have decided to fly now having looked into the cost of driving over. As for accommodation I think that we shall have a look at self catering in Calvi maybe. As you say there are more options for eating out there. Providing we are able to walk into town in the evenings, and the accommodation has a nice balcony and view, then that will suffice. I think I mislead you in previous post, we would like to be able to eat out for less than 100 euros per night. We normally travel to Lagos in Portugal where we can enjoy a nice meal for around 50 -60 euros, and as we enjoy lunch out too then this is about what we would like to pay. It looks an absolutely beautiful island. So looking forward to visiting.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,653 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay please?

Self catering is always a good way to go on Corsica.

Corsican cuisine is heavily influenced by Italy, so there are commonly pasta dishes on lots of restaurant menus. Ordering pastas is usually a good way to keep your "dining out" costs down. Drinking local wines by carafe as well.....

9. Re: Where to stay please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 18, 2014