We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small coach hire plus driver in Corte

Oxford
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Small coach hire plus driver in Corte

We are a group of 12/14 and always need the services of a small coach for some journeys. This will be from Corte. Any ideas?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,258 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small coach hire plus driver in Corte

I guess the first question would be.....how are you planning to get to Corte? Public transport on Corsica is dismal at best, although there have been some great improvements on the limited train lines that exist.

Corte is a pretty tiny place with a population of only a few thousand.

I wouldn't want to be in your position.....trying to hire a coach to tour you around.

Corsica is just one of those places where having a car is far and away the BEST way to go.

Oxford
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small coach hire plus driver in Corte

Thanks for replying. Some more background. It will beer in June before any main season buses run and we are walkers (elderly) and the coach is to give us a little flexibilty of start and finish of walks plus getting back to the railway to return. We will be using the ferry and train to arrive. In Italy. In Ukraine, Romania, Poland, Spain, Slovakia, and mainland France we have always hired a coach or large minibus for 3 or 4 journeys to give us flexibilty and the cost is not a main factor. 12 people rules out people carriers and many minibuses and we don't like multiple journeys.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small coach hire plus driver in Corte

I doubt that what you want is available in Corte itself which is quite a small town.

However, I've done some googling in French and these are some companies that have minibuses/coaches of approx the size you want:

Mercedes 19-seater and Ford 16-seater:

www.ampugnani-voyages.com/index.php…

A 15-seater Renault:

www.autocarsmariani.com/La-flotte_a23.html

A 22 seater mini-coach:

guidicelli-voyages.com/bus-et-autocars-corse…

The first of these companies is actually located between Bastia and Corte but I don't think the location is all that important. Whoever you choose can always come to where you are, and maybe charge some extra for it.

I know nothing about these companies, so it's important that you do your own due diligence and check that the one you choose is reliable and can provide what you want. They may not have any staff who speak English. Even if they do, it would be highly desirable if you or someone else in your party speak good enough French to deal with them.

You might reconsider whether renting two people carriers from one of the established car rental companies wouldn't be simpler and give you more flexibility.

Anyway, hope this helps and enjoy your walks in beautiful Corsica.

Edited: 12:53 pm, October 16, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,258 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small coach hire plus driver in Corte

George....just because you have hired coaches in other places, doesn't mean that you will be able to do it easily on Corsica.

I see that you have looked for this kind of service in Menton a while ago. Menton and Corte are about as similar as the Earth and Mars in terms of services and amenities.

Celestina's advice is sound.

Hope somebody speaks French.

Edited: 2:44 pm, October 16, 2013
Oxford
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small coach hire plus driver in Corte

Excellent - very helpful. Thanks

France
Level Contributor
320 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Small coach hire plus driver in Corte

For coach hire, it would be worth trying to use a company based near Corte otherwise you will need to cover hotel costs for the driver. These two companies might be able to provide necessary transport:

http://www.autocars-cortenais.fr

corsicabus.org/busPLeccia/PLeccia_Asco.html

The second company, in particular , is used to catering to the needs of hikers.

Oxford
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small coach hire plus driver in Corte

Thank you. Understanding hikers is an acquired but very useful taste!

8. Re: Small coach hire plus driver in Corte

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 25, 2014