We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corsica - resort advice needed!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Corsica - resort advice needed!

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I really fancy corsica this summer, however I don't know anyone that has been so could really do with advice!

We really want beutiful beaches but with enough to do for day trips (we'll hire a car).

Ideally we would like a decent sized town centre with shops and restaurants within walking distance... We've had good success with hiring villa previously in sicily so will probably do the same.

Were happy to spilt the trip 5 days in one area, 5 days in another if it works out right.

Finally, we're looking to go in June/July.

Any help is really appreciated!!

Thanks,

Kate

Hillerod, Denmark
Level Contributor
269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corsica - resort advice needed!

Hi,

I think Calvi would fit nicely with your requirements. You will find it much easier to find accommodation in June than in July, where all the good places are already booked.

If you go for self-catered accommodation have a look at www.homeaway.co.uk. I suggest you go for a full week in one place and then stay in hotels for the remaining days. You will have trouble finding vlilas and apartments for less than a weeks rental period in the high season.

Enjoy Corsica!

BR Trine (www.algajola.dk)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,662 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corsica - resort advice needed!

Like Trine says...2 bases would work well. Most vacation rentals (particularly in high season) are 7 days (Saturday to Saturday.) The area around Ajaccio is also great as is around Bonifacio. 3 days in the north would work combined with 7 days in the south.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corsica - resort advice needed!

hi kate j we are going to corisica last week in june and our needs are very similar

also being from leeds

we have gone for calvi decent size town with shops bars resteraunts and lovely beach in easy reach of some smaller resorts if a change is needed but the night life we are relly looking forward to i would suggest a hire car if you are in a villa probably not nessacery if you want to stay centrally then go to the southern tip bonafacio where you can cross to sardinia for a day

regards straw bear (leeds)

South East England...
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corsica - resort advice needed!

Bear in mind if you are flying from the UK the direct flights are only on Sundays so you will need to make alternative arrangements for a ten day stay.

Again, most of the self catering properties are weekly rentals so you might want to look at hotels or perhaps villa for a week and then hotels either side depending on you arrival day

Wales
Level Contributor
293 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corsica - resort advice needed!

If you don't mind shedding clothes - Village de Vacances Bagheera on the east coast near Aleria will take bookings starting and ending any day. I have posted a report on this site on TA.

ecosse
Level Contributor
151 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corsica - resort advice needed!

We found that other than July and August, it is possible to negotiate villa/apartment rental for less than a full week, so it largely depends how much time you are able/willing to spend making a few enquiries. We took a split between a "boutique" b and b for 3 days in the North ( St Florent - we have stayed in Calvi on a previous trip. ) and an villa rental in the south, with a couple of nights in a mountain auberge on the way between, to do some walking. All of which worked out brilliantly. We used Homeaway and got several accommodation offers for less than the week, in towns north and south. Corisca is absolutely gorgeous, enjoy your trip.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corsica - resort advice needed!

Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply I didn't get any notifications,

However great advice!! Thanks o much!

In your opinions would you say stay in Ajaccio or bonafico and drive to the other, rather than splitting the trip between the two then visiting calvi?

Also, I had no idea about the flight situation - is this the case from all airports? Indirect only? If so any advice??

Potentially coud stop in the place to change if its nice enough... Although so far it looks like Paris only??

Again, thanks so much - it all really helps!

Kate

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Corsica - resort advice needed!

Hey

There are some direct charter flights from Manchester try directcorsica.com and also easyjet do some from Manchester I think.

South East England...
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Corsica - resort advice needed!

If you're flying from Manchester the direct flights only go into the North of the island this year (Calvi and Bastia - first one with the charterer and second with Easyjet) so if you thinking of doing the South of the island too I would recommend doing that first and then heading back north so you don't have as far to travel for your return flight as they are usually in the morning.

If you don't want to fly via Paris you could head down to Nice or Marseille and hop over on a connecting flight with CCM (Corse Mediteranee) or get the ferry across (SNCM or Corsica ferries) and hire car at the port.

To drive from Ajaccio to Bastia it takes approx. 4 hours across the mountains so it's not something you can realistically do in a day.

It sounds like a lot of effort but it really is worth it!

10. Re: Corsica - resort advice needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 23, 2014