We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corsica or Lake Como?

Rotorua
Level Contributor
23 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Corsica or Lake Como?

We are visiting the South of France next June/ July 2013 with our two children aged 11 & 13 years. After 2 weeks in the Luberon then 2 weeks in the Cote D'Azur we have a spare week from the 6-13th of July and are tossing up between Corsica and Lake Como. Which place is most likely to take our breath away and are there any further suggestions? We have a rental car and it needs to be easy access from Nice.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corsica or Lake Como?

They are very different. Lake Como is beautiful and fairly sophisticated. Corsica is rough and craggy and absolutely beautiful. Corsican beaches are gorgeous.

I think your kids would enjoy Corsica more...mainly for the beaches. Of the 2, Corsica is more unique.

Corsica:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9XKVTxvSds

Lake Como:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPNorVCtKWY

I'd go to Corsica...

David

Portland
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Corsica or Lake Como?

It is easy to get to Corsica from Nice by ferry. (There are probably flights, too.) However, you probably would not be allowed to bring your rental car on the ferry. Most rental car companies prohibit this, unless you pay a significant premium. You will need a car in Corsica, but it would be easy to rent on there once you arrive.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corsica or Lake Como?

There are 4 airports on Corsica...so yes, multiple opportunities to fly, particularly from NIce. Public transportation on Cosica is sketchy at best. The "small trains" are akin to a rollercoaster and will rattle the teeth right out of your head and there are some private bus companies

So, a car is required. Drop your car in Nice and rent another when you get there. There is only about 100 yards of straight road on the whole island and Corsica is very popular with the motor coach set, so you will average about 20 miles an hour on the road at times. But the scenery is spectacular so going slow is good.

I have spent tons of time in the Luberon and I used to live in the Cote d'Azur. Corsica is completely different than both of those destinations. And I am confident that you will love it. Just understand that it is not a luxe Lake Como / Cote d'Azur destination. It is rough and gorgeous with absolutely amazing scenery.

David

Edited: 6:34 pm, November 18, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Corsica or Lake Como?

Anna,

This also depends on your budget. Corsica is likely to be more expensive. Firstly ferry crossing will cost and secondly accomodation is a tough one in Corsica (June would be OK though but July will be more tricky, especially if you only stay for a few days).

Otherwise i would agree with the above...my sense is that Lake Como is breathtaking but more adult-type, whislt Corsica is more kids friendly with beach, mountains and nature activities for all.

Enjoy your Southern Europe holidays!

VillaFanny

5. Re: Corsica or Lake Como?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, December 16, 2013